Friend in need...is a friend indeed?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Romancer, Dec 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Romancer

Romancer Well-Known Member

I know that my situation might get some people feel uncomfortable, but I do need some advice. Therefore I apologize, before telling the problem.

Huh. So...I have this good friend, for many years now, and we get along great, except for this tiny problem, that is called depression. I am depressed, but my thinking and feeling is way different than hers. She tried to killed herself many times, and is currently taking meds. She did before, but stopped, cause she realized she was too addicted, but tried to commit suicide, and had to start taking them again.
    Hm. The problem is not really her depression, since I am here for her 24/7, I get her texts in the middle of the night with photos of her cuts...or we go out, and suddenly she disappears and calls me about trying to kill herself,.. I'm used to situations like that, what I am sick of is her constant comparing to me. Everything I do, she wants to do, everything I have, she wants to have, how I look, she wants to look. And she does that all the time, she compares herself to others. And we all know, that when you compare yourself to others, you always find something they have and you don't. And I'm sick of hearing how perfect I am (knowing I'm not), and how she's not, and never will be. I'm sick of telling her that she is perfect, cause I believe we all are, and her not listening to me.

What I wanted to say is...that having a friend, is a great thing, and we all need one. But you have to realize that you can't put all your weight on his or hers back, because s/he might fall because it's too heavy to carry.

(Her situation is pretty complex, and she can't get a good therapist, since all they do, is give her drugs, and never listen. So I'm there to listen. But I can't listen and help all the time, if she rarely accepts my help. What to do then? )

2. ashtar

ashtar Well-Known Member

I know many people like that. I dont have friends anymore because of that. I hate compliments and any remarks about my looks because in my eyes I am one hell of a vile creature. So I've been isolating myself and guess what? You will still get those flirty men and jealous women. It wont change. Just keep this friend and hold on until she finds herself and has a little more self respect

3. Romancer

but i don't think she'll find herself with the path she's taking, I mean, it's been going on for years now, and it's only getting worse. Should she go to a mental hospital? since she's seriously thinking about it.

4. ashtar

ashtar Well-Known Member

Yeah... As her friend you're doing an amazing job. I mean, who has a friend like you who they can call and they will offer help no matter what? You know her best (probably better than herself) so if you think she needs to be monitored motivate her into going. I am just a trainee now but I had to administer people who went to hospitals for selfharming. It really helps...

5. Romancer

i'm just afraid that she relies on the meds too much, and her therapist isn't really a big help. so if she goes there, will they really talk to her, or just give her more drugs?

6. ashtar

ashtar Well-Known Member

Oh no! if she is in the UK the drugs will never come without talking therapy! actually we rely on talking therapy much more than on drugs. Drugs are only administered when a chamical imbalance is actually present! Trust me, She will feel way better. She will feel understood and she wont feel like a burden. The first week will be hard. She will have hardly any privacy and if she is a severe case they might monitor her 24/7... But it will get better. In clinics she wont be taking the meds herself. They will give her the meds so the amount she gets will be correct.

7. Romancer

sadly she's not from UK, and our hospitals are known to be good, but f*cked up at the same time (the problem with too much drugs). i'll ask around some friends that were there, if they can give me more info, but thanks a lot. i'm glad your hospitals are better. :)

8. ashtar

ashtar Well-Known Member

Good luck. She's lucky to have a friend who cares

9. ashtar

ashtar Well-Known Member

:rose::rose::rose::rose::rose:

10. Romancer

Thank you, hope it works out someday. (though it can get really hard sometimes)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.