Gene Simmons and Shannon Tweed

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Godsdrummer

Watching recent episodes of Family Jewels and especially last night, affected me in a way I never thought it would.

I was reminded of my own shortcomings as a father and an alcoholic. Now I havent had a drink in 2 years, but those dark days when my world was ending, all came rushing back to me, as I watched Gene's son call him a liar and his daughter tell him he wasnt a good dad.

Now I know that show gets a lot of crap for people thinking it is scripted but I dont think this one was. I think segments were put together for show continuity, but the emotions on that were real. Shannon is pissed at Gene. And who can blame her?

My kids especially my daughter has confronted me the way Gene's kids did, as my wife also did the same.

I felt his pain as if it were my own, because it was. Man I havent had these emotions for a long time now...and I dont like it.

TLA

Antiquitie's Friend
I watched the show once, only see if it was good, out of curiousity. People say you can't learn anything from television...I think u can, u have to know how to apply it.

If it rings bells and causes you to remember, know that you can still make ammends while you have a chance. I think it is great you are writing here abt your feelings and ways that confrontations and past lives of you hit you hard in the gut. Telling you not to dwell on your shortcomings is futile. We are all human and not perfect, do crazy, idiotic, sinful things in life. You are smart cuz you realize it.

I sorta feel, i wish I had seen the episode you speak of...my dad died in 2005. Heart attack overseas. Only one child of his, out of 5, addressed his alcohislism. It ruined many times and tarnished sooooo many more. He even hit me twice {separate events!} as an adult, when he was drinking.

Sorry, did not mean to steal your thread!!

Do something about your memories, before its too late. Learn the art of apologizing. It can be tough at times. Allow your soberity to stand for the beginning of the present.
whats that saying "God made each day new, thats why its called the present"

Best to you, you can do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

IV2010

I haven't seen the show you mentioned bill and I'm sorry it triggered you
I wanted to congratulate you on being sober for 2 years..well done :console:

G

Godsdrummer

I dont know how anyone who has a family that has gone thru addiction problems could have watched that and not felt melancholy.

I haven't watched recent episodes, but I have heard of the split. I can tell you a couple of things.

1. Gene Simmons is EXTREMELY demeaning towards woman. Now I am a man, and I am not a fan of feminism. (equality all the way, but you get my drift). He did an NPR interview where the interviewer (female) actually ended the interview early because he was being such an A-hole

2. If you respect woman at all you are better than him. I feel sorry for Shannon and his daughter

3. My parents split up before I was born, Mom moved to Seattle (where I grew up) to go to UW lawschool. From Washington D.C. Needless to say, my Dad was a great father. He flew out twice a month to see me for just a weekend at no small expense. And you know what? The part I respect him for most was TRYING to be a part of my life and I will be forever grateful for it. He could have called me twice a month and I will have the same respect for him.

Sorry, I guess I needed to vent a little bit, but point being, if you feel remorse for not having a relationship with your kid (which you obviously do), you are probably a decent father.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00