Getting out of bed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really consider myself a lazy person but I've gradually obtained a big problem not being motivated to get out of bed over my last year+ of being in college. I was in the active army for 5 years and had no problem even at the worst of times with little sleep getting out of bed in a lot of situations because I didn't want to be the asshole that doesn't show up or deal with side effects of it. I didn't want to but I did it because I knew it was best. Now its starting to seriously effect my grades I think in addition to robbing me my entire mornings.

Some weeks I get into a mode where I'm also going to sleep real late (maybe even 5 am). In the past I've occasionally taken a sleeping pill to help put me to sleep. I'm not an insomniac however. Over many years (even when I had to get up at 5:30am in the Army) I'd be in bed around midnight. I know its bad to go to sleep late but I don't think its the core problem when I need to be up around 9 or 11 at the earliest. I just don't want to get out of bed. So does anyone know of any strategies I can use? Some rare occasions I've felt motivated to get up but its a failing strategy. I've always used my cell phone as my main alarm and if I don't accidently turn it off after a couple snoozes I've hit snooze every 10 minutes for up to like 4 hours before. :robin: Another alarm clock being away from my bed really doesn't help so much either. I live in a small efficiency with really nobody to help wake me up. Its very quiet.

yes, I know I say it often. the book in my sig, plus another at the same website on treating insomnia

hope this helps

:)

Chargette

I struggle with this. I tried "sleep hygene" and it gave me the problem of sleeping right one day, then not sleeping the next, and it made matters worse.

Sleep hygene is put jammies on at 9pm, turn off computer at 10 pm, go to bed by 11 pm.

I had to make myself do it at first. It may or may not work for you.

The only other thing I can say is a waking mantra of something like, "staying in bed gets an f grade."

When I worked, I would tell myself, "staying home doesn't pay the bills."

The mantra thing may work better. I hope this helps.

Slothbear

I have major issues with this. Especially with school days and with days off. Work days aren't that bad since being paid is a pretty good motivation for me. However for instance today i had nothing going on today, no school, no work i stayed in bed until 2pm until i used the washroom, made some food and went back to bed.

VALIS

I had that; I saw a psychiatrist. I just jumpstarted the depression with some good old psychoactive medication.

Slothbear

Even when i was on medication i had issues getting out of bed. Maybe that's part of the reason why i stopped it cold turkey.

jimk

Staff Alumni
Poorlagged, it been said here before but setting a reasonable hour to go to bed seems to be needed now for you.. a calming period first with low stress level.. no more doing awake till 5am or such ... hopefully you will be able to nod off then..

sounds like real depression has you in it's grips nowadays.. the up for a bit then trying to nod off to sleep again just to get away from it all.. judge this yoruself and if needed a psychiatrist maybe needed and some meds to help with this..

good luck, Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00