1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

getting rid of self harm scars?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Paisley, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Paisley

Paisley * * * SF Artist SF Supporter

Not sure if this belongs in Self Harm & Substance Abuse or here. I've been putting aloe vera on my scars in hopes that it makes them heal faster but it's been almost 6 months now and the deeper ones that I needed stitches for are still glaringly obvious. I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on how to make them disappear more quickly; summer is coming up and I'd like to be able to wear short sleeves again.

2. JulieDegraw

JulieDegraw Well-Known Member

I did a google search and found a lotion called DermalMD Scar Serum and people rank it very high. It seems to be working great within a few months.

Paisley and gypsylee like this.
  3. Winter Blues

Winter Blues SF Supporter

Hi Paisley, I used to use Bio Oil - I live in the UK so not sure if you can get it. But it never really helped deep scars. I know people who have had tattoos when the skin has properly healed to cover the marks. But mainly I want to say stay safe. I don’t know your story but here to listen at anytime. X

Paisley and gypsylee like this.
  4. gypsylee

gypsylee SF Supporter

I've researched this because my 16yo went through a cutting phase *sigh* and has scars. Unfortunately I found no simple solution like a cream. She's very keen on tattoos though and I have them myself, so we've agreed she can get the scars covered up with them when she's 18. If you do happen to find something that works please let me know.

Paisley likes this.
  5. Paisley

Thank you for the quick replies! I hadn't thought of the tattoo idea, that sounds like a good solution (you wouldn't want to cut again because you'd ruin the artwork) but one I don't have money for currently. I do love the idea of having tattoos though so it's definitely something I'll keep in mind for when I get a job. For now I'll look into both DermalMD and BioOil. Thank you again

JulieDegraw and Winter Blues like this.
  6. Ash600

Ash600 SF Creative SF Supporter

One of the problems with scar treatment, no matter what the cause is how deep the scars are as different types of skin tissues are affected which may lead to varying response to treatments. Additionally, time of length the scar has been present, the longer the time, the more difficult to successfully reduce it's appearance.
    As already mentioned in previous posts. Bio-oil can be helpful, and there's anecdotal evidence that Vitamin E oil can sometimes be of help.

Silicone gel sheets are another option with proven success in certain cases. If've attached a link detailing general scar treatment options which may be of use.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/scars/treatment/

7. Paisley

Silicone gel sheets seem like they'd be effective since with creams you have to keep remembering to reapply it, and it can rub off if you're wearing long sleeves, but with a covering I wouldn't have either of those issues to deal with. Thank you for the advice!

8. nobodyknows71

nobodyknows71 Forum Pro SF Supporter

Hi @Paisley A lot of people here have asked the same question and you’ve got some good replies.

Another option is to wear your scars with pride. You’ve felt so bad you’ve hurt yourself but you’re still here fighting the fight. Which means you’ve come a long way right?

Whatever you decide I wish you good luck

Ash600 likes this.
  9. Paisley

Not brave enough to go about my business with people staring at something like that, I'm afraid... I have come a long way, though, you're right. Ideally I never would have done it in the first place but there's nothing I can do about that now. Thank you for the well wishes!

And @gypsylee I just went out and bought some silicone scar sheets so I'll trial run those for a few months or so and then get back to you with my results!

10. gypsylee

gypsylee SF Supporter

Oh excellent, thanks :)

11. RCee

RCee Well-Known Member

Aloe Vera is one of the best straight from the plant, but as said above it depends on the type of scare if it is like a keloid raised scar tissue the best bet is tattoos or just ignore if it is more like a strip has been takin from your skin like a stretch mark than vitamin e aloe Vera and believe it or not stretch mark made creams are good. I have done extensive search into this years ago and is why I have tattoos where my old scars are. Believe or not what you eat effects the way you heal as well I had a bad scar heal that was 20 years old not because of time but I decided to "get healthy" and my skin everywhere started to "get better" everyone is different you do what makes you feel better about being in your own skin

12. RCee

RCee Well-Known Member

Also any deep cut on your skin takes years 5+ to fully say that it is healed just because it doesn't bleed doesn't mean it is healed underneath

13. Paisley

I have an aloe vera plant I've been taking small pieces from daily! I'll likely continue to, these scar sheets say just to wear them for 12 hrs a day. The scars aren't keloid, more like strips taken from the skin, but much more dark than stretch marks are (have those also but not looking to get rid of them). I do want tattoos eventually. Also, I appreciate the advice about eating well. And is that 5+ years thing really true?? Wow... I hope I can get them to where they're not quite as noticeable, anyway

14. RCee

RCee Well-Known Member

I have scars that are a little over 15 years old I don't notice them on the daily there are no red marks anymore and in sunlight can definTley see them. But I have yet to have anybody even my good friends over the years or employers and partners say anything about them . Only time I ever got a comment was from another person who had similiar ones and the only thing that was said was "yeah I noticed"

6 months is a very short time for skin to heal again everyone is different but for me it takes a good year and half for the color to go away to 2 and I don't put anything or do Anything for healing I just let the elements sun air ect get to the site to help blend it in . I am not advocating self harm I just have experience with it as well with sensitive skin ,

Look into actors makeup or tattoo coverup if you can in the meantime match your skin tone. There's a lot of little tricks if your interested just messege me

Paisley and Winter Blues like this.
  15. Paisley

@gypsylee Not sure if you remember me saying I'd get back to you with the results from the silicone scar sheets but I did say I would and that's what I'm doing. It's been about two months now and I've seen a noticeable difference. The scar's reddish colour has faded to a soft purple and even back to relatively skin tone in some places. The single raised scar I had has flattened out, as well. I'm still going to get a tattoo to cover them up, though. They haven't improved so much that they aren't visible.

What I didn't like about using the silicone sheets was how everything sticks to them. I ended up repeatedly putting strips of painter's tape overtop of the sheets to prevent them from peeling off and sticking to things like my blanket while I sleep or my clothing during the day.

I've also been applying the gel from my aloe vera plant whenever I wash the silicone sheets or after I take a shower (remove them when bathing, they're definitely not waterproof), so that may be another factor that's helped speed up the healing process.

In short, I would recommend them as long as your daughter doesn't mind cleaning them every day and putting tape overtop of them to keep them in place.

gypsylee and Lulabelle like this.