Getting weight loss surgery this month

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Farandaway674, Nov 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Farandaway674

Farandaway674 Member

After being jerked around by my insurance company I finally have approval for a gastric sleeve surgery this month. I must admit I do have some reservations but nothing major, I am more ashamed in myself then anything else that I literally have to have part of my stomach removed to stop eating so much. I guess its also a form of mutilation to a certain degree but I am convinced that the benefits out way the possible consequences. From what I understand this surgery has very good record with treating my overeating disorder, but I also know its only going to work if I can make it work and for that reason I am petrified.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I hope the surgery help hun but before getting it start your healthy eating now ok get into a routine now so after surgery you will have already practiced eating right foods and the right amt Therapy is so important ok during all this

3. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

There is no reason to be ashamed of getting a medical procedure -- I hope that is brings about benefits for you in physical health and mental well being. It is not the "easy way" at all - but it is a method and just like any other you have taken on the self will and determination to make a change and should be very proud. Will be thinking of you and hoping the best for you .

- Take Care

Ben

4. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

first of all, congrats on taking that decision and having it approved by your insurance. It must've been a difficult decision. I should know, I'm obese and have thought of it, but over here they have a 3 years waiting list.

Also give yourself a break and take it one day at a time. have the surgery, then do what the doctors say and maybe ask the support of your family and friends.

If you have to, write all the good reasons why you're doing this, and stick them somewhere you can see it when you start to be negative or doubt. I think that could help...but it's just a thought :)

5. flowers

flowers Senior Member

hi. First, I am sorry you are ashamed. I am sorry society does that to us. To cause so much shame around body weight. Believe me, I have been no stranger to shame for body weight. Congratulations on the surgery, I can understand the fear of being on your own to lose the weight. Are you going to get counseling so you can have support with the post surgical eating? I really hope so. I am sending you one of these :hug: and one of these :hugtackles:

6. sudut

sudut Well-Known Member

I wish I had courage like you. I've seen it being done on tv and if you are sure about it, go ahead.

7. Farandaway674

Farandaway674 Member

Thank you I am actually going in tomorrow. Very nervous that something will go wrong.

8. flowers

flowers Senior Member

I think its fairly normal to be nervous. I am looking forward to hearing good news from you that the surgery was completely routine, from the viewpoint of the surgeon. And that it went totally well. My thoughts are with you :hug:

9. Farandaway674

Farandaway674 Member

Thank you all, I just had the surgery this week and came back from the hospital after 3 days. Some pain but considering what they did not nearly as much as one might expect. Already up and moving, will still be 8 weeks or more till I am back on solid foods though.

10. flowers

flowers Senior Member

So glad to hear that the surgery went well. And that it is behind you now. Done ! Now you are healing. :hug:

11. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Glad to hear went well - take your time with the recovery and follow the diet carefully to make sure you get needed nutrition during the recovery as you get used to it. I hope it helps you meet any goals you have for yourself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.