greeving for dead celebrities

Discussion in 'Grief and Bereavement' started by emily83, Apr 7, 2013.

1. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

i was going to post in the uncertainty forum, but figured here would be more suitable

is their anyone else who greeves more for dead celebrities, than they do people close to them?

i know for me.. it's a fact- i greeve more for people like amy winehouse and michael jackson (never even met them), than i do people i've met- or close friends i've made online

anyone else?- and is this normal?
  2. snarrylover

snarrylover Well-Known Member

It's normal to grieve for people who have had an influence on your life. Just because we don't know them doesn't mean we don't hurt with their passing. They were still a part of our lives, possibly for years and years, maybe longer than someone we actually know. Knowing you'll never hear a new song from them, or see a new movie featuring them, can hurt.

Personally, though, I would never compare that grief to the grief of losing someone close to me in my life. That loss would always be more to me.
  3. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

that's what i was originally getting at

i find it weird that i greeve more for someone like amy winehouse, then i do say my friend frank- who i used to see every day. he lived next door
  4. snarrylover

snarrylover Well-Known Member

Hmm. Well, I think it depends on the person. My grandparents deaths, and the deaths of my pets over the years, have been the worst. But, say, if my favourite celebrity died...and someone who I used to work with died...I think the celeb death would affect me more because of the influence they had on my life.

Maybe it's something to do with getting closure? Or knowing if they had a happy life or not before the died? There would be lots on contributing factors to why someone would feel that way. I don't think it's weird, though. Never let anyone tell you that.
  5. paulhewson

paulhewson Well-Known Member

It depends on the person. If a relative was a completely useless, horrible person who had no redeeming qualities, you would probably grieve less. If the celebrity did things like donate money and time to charities, was a great person besides just making music, movies, dunking basketballs, hitting home runs, etc., you might actually care a bit more. You probably wouldn't grieve a celebrity who got arrested every other month, beat their spouse, neglected their kids, stood trial for murder, drug trafficking, etc. Some celebrities are simply worthless twats, not worthy of grief.
  6. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

I was saddened when Michael Jackson was killed. Just because we don't know them personally doesn't make it any less normal to mourn their loss, especially if their influence was a big part of your life and they made a positive impact on the world. We mourned the loss of complete strangers after the 9/11 attacks, and don't know anything about 98% of those victims' lives or contributions to society. We just know that they, like celebrities, are people; someone's child, mother, father, friend, neighbor, sister or brother who once lived, and loss of any life is always tragic.

So, I don't believe it's abnormal at all to grieve any lost one, celebrity or otherwise.
  7. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

It all depends on how you feel about them. I view most "celebrities" with disdain and disgust, so I don't really get worked up when they die.

If they play an important role in your life (or your mental processes), then it's perfectly natural for you to grieve them more than an acquaintance.
  8. liktheangel

liktheangel Active Member

I use to get sad think about Kurt Cobain and other celebrities who have died but moreso the way they died and how young they were. There were these British tourists that got murdered in the county I live in about three years ago and I think about them from time to time because they were so young and unfairly killed. I get sad for their families and friends.
  9. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

Celebrities are like everyone else, human beings. How we grieve is up to us, and who we grieve more for is a matter of personal opinion.