Haemochromatosis....

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by meaningless-vessel, Jun 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

It's been confirmed now by testing my blood for the genetic side.

Haemochromatosis, or GH (Genetic Haemochromatosis), is a genetic disorder causing the body to absorb an excessive amount of iron from the diet: the iron is then deposited in various organs, mainly the liver, but also the pancreas, heart, endocrine glands, and joints.

(Note: My was 81% iron saturation level - I was informed between 30-40% would be normal, and I have an older brother on the flip side with low levels.)

I have to thank my previous doc (who now no longer works for my GP surgery) for putting the request in for the test. He gave me some information and it's worked out to be true. I'm just glad they've caught it while i'm younger - the issues could be worse if not found at a later age. (Possibilities would include cirrhosis of the liver - but I'm reasonably sure I wouldn't be getting that, as it's already in place that I have a time/date for a venesection).

Now I have to push to get information to my son's mum - to give her an understanding that it can be genetic although not noticed until people are 30-50 - and he's 8 - but if informed, there's something that can be done sooner to discover first if he has it, and second to put things in place if he does a bit sooner so the saturation levels don't reach so high.

Gah.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

glad you doc was able to find this hun so now you can help you son stay strong and healthy hope his mom keeps you sons doctor up to date of what to look for

3. meaningless-vessel

Ouch. The first day that I have my first one and for once... I'm seen earlier than the time I was "scheduled"

Nothing like having 600ml of blood taken on my first visit. I didn't quite know how i'd react to this, but everything seemed to be going fine. Rather like a blood test, just longer time for it to be collected.

Right near the end of this one though - I started to feel sweat running on my head, followed by a bout of feeling nauseous. Ended up drinking almost a litre of water and a mug of coffee with a couple of biscuits, and having an oxygen mask put on me while I tried to regulate my breathing.

Surely not something I'd enjoy - but unfortunately through the genetic side, I have to deal with this probably for a fair while at least - if not life. Not a major issue, but it's going to make looking for work much more interesting :?

4. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Welcome to my world! Having half my blood drained every 3 months with spending an entire morning or afternoon at the hospital. Not cool, but I sympathise. But if I can be a nurse with HIV with very little limitation to my job, you'll have no problem finding work.

5. meaningless-vessel

Through a couple of facebook groups that I am also a member of as a result of being tested...

Depression is a symptom. Along with irritability and mood swings - and fatigue/lethargy. Now I have a mild understanding as to why I do some things the way I do. Why I blow out at work - why I feel tired more than I expected to - why I don't have an excessive amount of "get up and go" - motivation.

And also why I can be a bit hot-headed at times. Just what I needed to hear.

6. meaningless-vessel

Now i've completed having my 5th phleb - I'm fairly sure I only need one more to bring it down below 100 (and possibly somewhere close to 50-60) - which might do me a few more favours not having the excess in me.

Gonna be fun because next week I have an interview. For a catering assistant. In the same hospital that I'm phleb'd in.

7. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

I hope the interview goes well!

8. meaningless-vessel

Providing I don't have energy issues like today I should be ok. I have a therapy session 9-10 then gotta go to a part of the hospital for 11.45 (interview at 1pm).

Sure sucks wanting to nap all the time or sweating profusely from a simple amount of exercise (I say simple - I used to be on my feet for hours now 1 hours walking has worn me out today.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.