Has my depression evolved?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Plumpy, Sep 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plumpy

Plumpy Member

I've had depression for about 18 years now. It's treated with meds and I live a relatively normal life.

This is going to sound such a strange story but a few weeks ago, there was a bug in my bedroom that I took a photo of and a few people told me it was a cockroach. It actually turns out that it probably wasn't but ever since then I have a ridiculous bug paranoia that I can't seem to shake. I don't sleep in my bedroom and have gone from someone who used to enjoy being in bed to someone who sleeps merely because I have to. When I thought I may have a cockroach problem I read a lot online and stumbled across a lot of information about bed bugs. I then developed a stupid paranoia that I have them which I can't shake though the last couple of days I've more moved on to bird mites.

There is no logical reason for me to have these things and my symptoms have only developed since the bug incident but my skin feels like things are crawling on it all the time. I've had literally a couple of bites but it's been a hot summer here in the ok so not exactly unusual. I certainly do not have enough bites IMO to warrant these suspicions. I do have some pin prick like red marks but I don't know if they've always been there because I've never constantly inspected my skin like this before.

My question is - is it possible these symptoms are a being caused by my mind? Can the mind really produce physical symptoms like that? And if so does that mean I'm suffering from some kind of psychosis. :(

Any help and ideas would be greatly appreciated. I really don't know if I need pest control or a doctor.
  2. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

I would personally check with a doctor first. Reading up online about things can lead us to believing we have all kinds of ailments.

Hot weather itself generally draws out a few more insects than we would like to stick to, but if there are bed bugs - perhaps it's worth trying to ensure that the whole room is fully cleaned from top to bottom - then you'll have an idea if it persists.
  3. FrainBart

FrainBart Staff Alumni

It would always be best to speak to a doctor concerning any health issues. Though at night when you sleep (and being hot weather) it is likely that this pin prick red marks are just a small heat rash.

But if you are concerned about bugs (bed bugs) use a hoover on your bed, and flip it over regularly (hoover it everyday, flip it once a week). So should you have any, this kind of activities will reduce the likelihood of having them, and remove them if you do.

A lot of it is perceived by your mind, its easy to get one idea set into your head, and often reading up online only exacerbates any problems you might have.
  4. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Perhaps you might talk to your doctor because your worrying is beginning to disrupt your life (it's changed your comfort level going to bed).

I suspect that like many of us, you don't like the idea of bugs being in your home, and finding one has unsettled you, maybe more deeply than you realized. I find the idea of bugs in my living space is pretty freaky and I'd be bothered. *nods*

Bed bugs and cockroaches usually bring their friends...they don't arrive alone. If you had an infestation of either, you'd see lots of them, not just one. If you see more of them, you might need to contact a pest control company, or if you rent an apartment, your landlord might do that if you notify him you found bugs.

If you cannot shake the worries, it really might be worth talking to your doctor so it doesn't get you all wound up for a long time. I hope it turns out that it's just one stray bug that got in through the window on a summer night.
  5. Plumpy

Plumpy Member

Thanks for your help guys.
  6. Plumpy

Plumpy Member

Just thought I'd let you all know I had a pest control man come round this morning and he said he can see no signs of anything so in going to the doctors. He told me the name of a condition where you imagine crawling on your skin. He said he'd met loads of people that had it through his work but I can't remember the name of it. Does anyone know?
  7. JustKindaThere

JustKindaThere Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.