have a Q for you guys.

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Takotsubo, Aug 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Takotsubo

Takotsubo Well-Known Member

so unfortunately there was a mix up and lost my health insurance , at first i had opted out because i thought i wouldn't use it till next year but then the health deductible showed in my check and was like meh i'll keep it. since my bro and i work at the same place he opted to take the insurance but then it was never applied to him and that's how i lost it .

so anyways , i thought i wasn't going to need it but looks like i do because i am getting worse , i wish i had kept my thing. for those of you that are taking medication for depression . i wanted to know , how much does it help ?

me because of my depression i am extremely unmotivated , i just emotion less . and always blue along with other crap. so hopefully next year when i get insurance i'll finally go to a doctor and maybe they can help me , but when i start the meds will i somewhat be normal? will my motivation come back , fatigue go away ? i've heard and read i'll probably become an emotionless zombie does that always happen ... common effect of medication?

2. Much afraid

Much afraid Well-Known Member

I suppose it's different for everyone. My experience has been it has helped me fight the lack of motivation and evened out my roller coaster ride a bit.

I've not experienced being emotionless on my meds but my blues have been less intense, for the most part, and my anxiety and panic over things has improved some. I still get overwhelmed and have ups and downs but it all seems a little easier to deal with and rebound from than I could without the meds.

It wasn't an immediate improvement and I still have days when I think it's all too hard (life, work, responsibilities) but it isn't the all day, everyday torment I couldn't escape before the meds and counseling.

I hope that helps you some. I also hope there might be some access to the medication for you before next year. That is a long time to have to battle all the crummy things we deal with when depression sinks its teeth into us.

3. cymbele

cymbele SF Supporter

Ditto as Much afraid said. Get the meds.

Btw, last year when I was out of work, the pdoc got me samples to cover me for a while. I applied to the drug company for help in getting the medicine. Then the drug company looked at my income and decided to grant me the medication free of charge. The pdocs will help you get the medication. They will work with you to get the right dosage etc. But you have to go see the pdoc which could be very expensive without insurance. You might be able to get free pdoc help through the county (based on your income of course) but there are ways to get the help you need. Your pdoc can help you. I'm not sure a GP can do much with samples but maybe yours can.

4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

medication will only make you a zombie if the dose you take is too high i found meds gave one lots of energy for sure and like stated stopped roller coaster ride hope you can go to your doc even a general doc and do what cymbele said ok

5. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Everyone's system works differently so one med will be great for one and bad for another.

What killed my motivation was the time involved to let the medication start working. I'm super sensitive so process increases doseage very slow.

For cost involved. A doc visit might be 75-250 without insurance for depression consult and a lot of prescription discount programs out there is it worth it to wait until next year? Just ring up a doctors office and ask how much a visit will cost.

6. raincloud

raincloud Well-Known Member

The thing is, even if it doesn't help much or doesn't seem to help much, it's often better than being without it. I stopped taking my meds because I was still a mess and they weren't working. Well, I'm still a mess, but now I obsess over things that happened years ago and I think about death constantly. So, I'm starting again.

It might be a good idea to look into prescription assistance if you are having insurance issues. I lost my insurance for a while. I went to a clinic with a sliding scale, and they had me fill out a TON of forms but in six weeks I was eligible to get meds for $10 a month.

Edited to add: I have been on and off antidepressants since 1994 -- mostly on. I have been on several, and also some anti-psychotics. The only time I was an "emotionless zombie" was on Zoloft, and it doesn't have that effect on everyone. It can happen, but it doesn't always, and honestly sometimes that is preferable to the alternative.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.