Having ADHD leads to a lot of other problems, but...

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Aphorism, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aphorism

Aphorism Well-Known Member

...I'm starting to get very paranoid about any of this being real.

[For reference: I am a female, 18 years old in twelve days, senior in HS, living with my mom. I am diagnosed with ADHD and two weeks ago was prescribed concerta. Started at an 18mg dose, and now I'm at 36mg.]

Arguably, it's in my nature to over think and over analyze situations. And recently, I was diagnosed with ADHD. I read a book about it, specifically, women with ADHD, and found it incredibly relatable. However, one of the first solutions my mom and I have tried for coping with this (other than therapy which I was already in) is medication. My psychologist is a very kind woman, and I think she seems very intelligent and professional. I put a lot of trust in her to know what she's doing.

At the same time, when I look around for more information about ADHD, there are a lot of controversies. The statistic that 70% of people properly diagnosed with ADHD are helped by medication, once the right dosage is found, seems promising. But the arguments against medication seem to bring up valid points: For how long is it successful? Is medication necessary? Will this affect me in the long term? Can it inhibit growth or development of my brain?

And when you look more into on the internet, which is a bad idea I know, it seems that some people even doubt that ADHD is a real disorder. Or maybe it's just a different kind of "brain". How much of that even matters? I am just scared that this medication, or too much of it, will change who I am. Or stop me from fulfilling my potential.

Either way, the concerta hasn't made much of a difference so far. Except, I feel even more tired than usual at night and in the mornings.

Help...ADHD is real...but still so much about it is unknown sometimes it worries me...like maybe this isn't even what my real problem is.

2. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

Aphorism :hug: I think that being scared and worried is entirely natural - as is going online to research. Unfortunately the internet is filled with a lot of misleading information written by people who do not really know the answers.

ADHD is a real thing; I spent 5 years teaching teenagers and a number of those had ADHD and the difference between the times they remembered their meds and the times they didn't was marked. I think too many people confuse ADHD and "naughty" children. Many of the people I know who doubt the existence of the condition are of the mistaken opinion that it is bad parenting or willfully disruptive children.

Medications do work. As do diet changes. I haven't any idea about therapy but even if it cannot "cure" you I would expect that it can at the least give you techniques to cope.

All you can do is keep talking - to the people who care about you and to the medical professionals. It is understandable to worry and talking about those worries and concerns is important. PM me if you want to chat any time.

Take care :hug:

3. blackbirdfly

blackbirdfly Well-Known Member

Hey Aphorism, I'm a 19-year old (male) in college now. I understand completely. I hesitated for a really long time to take any medications. First off, I used to be huge paranoid pothead that thought all medicines were bad. But after a while, I gave Vyvanse a try (very similar to concerta). It didn't give me the complete fix I was hoping for, but I finally found myself inadvertently accomplishing a lot more. Lab reports, essays, homework, studying, cleaning my room, doing my laundry, and simple things like that used to be so hard for me. When I got on medicine, I stopped becoming so overwhelmed and just learned to do what I can every day, and if I miss a few things, it's okay because I tried my best.

I could go on all day, so I'll be to the point: Medicines can REALLY help. Don't feel bad that you're not "sure" you have ADD. There are virtually millions of ways ADD affects you, it's different for everyone. ADD is not a disease that is reserved for people who are completely out-of-control and unfocused. Sometimes people like me and you are just under to much pressure in our own head (over-analyzing, doubting, racing thoughts) and we need medicinal help. I believe it's more of an emotional/behavioral disorder than a physiological, but I think it is very possibly it is a disorder in the brain. Regardless, it is very real, and you don't have to doubt it. I doubted it too, then I let the medicine do it's work...and it worked. I now get straight A's as a physics major where most kids drop their classes after the first exam.

Also, I don't think it will change who you are, it just helps you focus on the things you truly want to do. If anything, it helps you achieve your full potential. speaking on safety, I believe it is very safe, especially when used properly. It has not been shown to be very dangerous at all. It is a stimulant, and an amphetamine, so there are certain things to know about it, like: consume a healthy amount of fluids (stay hydrated), make sure you keep eating a good amount (don't use the medicines to curb your appetite too much), don't take the medicines so that you'll stay up late at night (will REALLY hurt you physically, i did this many times to study and it is HORRIBLE for you)

Anyway, I have a lot to say on this matter, if you want to hear it. If you're finding the concerta isn't working for you, ask your doctor if you can try a different variation that might be more effective. vyvanse, adderall, ritalin, and many other options. I know many people who tried 3 or 4 before finding the one that worked perfectly for them.

PM if you want to ask/know more about any of this. Would love to talk. Peace!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.