Having ECT, for what?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Danialla, Jun 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danialla

Danialla Well-Known Member

I am currently having ECT for my depression, but I realize that the depression is my life situation. What is ECT supposed to accomplish? it can't change my life. Why subject myself to ECT when suicide seems a much better solution. I have to find a day to fit my suicide in, work around my work schedule so I won't leave people high and dry. But today would be so easy, and so comforting. I need the rest. I am so tired.

2. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

Hi Danialla - ECT was part of my treatment, and for me it did do something positive concerning the wiring in my brain that had got itself stuck somehow - that's the best way I can describe it. It helped bring clarity to my life situation as well, which then went on to be medicated another way (counselling/mentoring). I do hope you decide to give yourself another chance, because you are worth it and life can come to be seen in a different light from a different perspective :)

3. Danialla

Thank you, I guess I just need to be patient. Did you go off meds when you stop taking ECT?

4. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

I think I only had 2 sessions of ECT, and after my discharge continued with the meds for a while - (cannot recall what they were now), but continued with the Prozac for maybe a year - 18 months after that, although each morning I took it I knew it was not the answer I really needed. I hung on and hung on until I discovered my mentor/counsellor who taught me the way to "harness" my thinking - and the lights went on and I've never looked back :) Well, only so I can understand where I had gone wrong, and why. It has been a very deep process, one that I had no idea was even possible. Will talk with you about it more if you'd like to PM :)

5. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Hi Danialla, what is it about your life situation that is making you depressed? How can you change your life situation to make you feel less depressed?

6. Danialla

my husband didn't pay his company business taxes for a few years (I presume) and now we are in debt for 122,000 dollars. I am 56 he is 63. We will never be out of debt. I have a job that is dependent on tax money and we have a levy coming up. If the tax levy fails they will close my department. I carry all the health insurance and with this overwhelming depression I can barely go to work.....but I do. I see suicide as my only way out. It is in fact my only way out. This is a very simple explanation of my life situation. I have my mother in law living with us too. There's more but that is it in a nut shell. Just overwhelming for me.

7. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi,Danialla. I respect your views but I do not believe that suicide is your only way out. If the ECT is not or does not work, it is not the end. Thankfully in this day and age there are so many different remedies for depreession, counselling, CBT,medication,herbal,hypnotherapy,acupuncture. Please do not harm yourself and reach out and be completely honest with your healthcare provider. You can do this and we're here to help you along the way. :hug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.