Heart Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

JV3

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about heart problems? I found out today that my dad is going to have to have stints put in next week or, more likely, have to have some type of bypass surgery. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with either of these. I was wondering how worried I should be and possibly what recovery times and long-term effects are. Any information would be great. Thank you in advance!

pisces1

I dont have any knowledge to offer, but just wanted to let you know i will keep your father and you, in my thoughts and prayers. :hug:

H

Hatshepsut

Wishing you best of luck, and for your father. A stent is a tube of meshwork that is placed inside an artery, which keeps the passageway open for blood flow by supporting the artery wall from inside. The American Heart Assn. has more information in this pdf

:smile-new: What is a Stent? http://www.heart.org/idc/groups/heart-public/@wcm/@hcm/documents/downloadable/ucm_300452.pdf

and on their general website

:smile-new: AHA: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/

Surgeons are pretty good at this business. Mortality in the operating room for bypasses is fairly low, in the range of 1% to 10% depending on what kind of operation and on the patient's age and condition. Expect a substantial recovery period and for doctors to insist on a new lifestyle for the patient. However, most patients can leave hospital in 1st or 2nd week afterward.

Unlike bypasses, which require opening the chest and may require stopping the heartbeat artificially while the patient is hooked up to a heart-lung machine, stents are inserted via a catheter. The patient is usually conscious under local anaesthesia, and there is no heart-lung machine. Patients often leave hospital within a day or two. Surgical mortality is very low, and recovery is faster since there are no large wounds. There will still be a lot of lifestyle changes, including prescribed amounts of exercise and no smoking if applicable.

Last edited:

JV3

Thank you very much! Those are some great websites and great info you've given me. I was wondering about the recovery time because he was actually scheduled to have his right kidney removed on August first because of a tumor on it, but this will obviously delay that and possibly make that situation more complicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00