Help me help him.

Discussion in 'Grief and Bereavement' started by Lady Youth, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Lady Youth

Lady Youth Active Member

A friend of mine and I have both been long-time sufferers of depression and suicidal thoughts and feelings, but we've always been there for each other.

Recently, his father committed suicide, and I want to be able to help him in any way I can. He is dealing with it well on the outside, but he messages me a lot, and I think he just wants to talk, and I'm not sure what to say. I worry about him a lot before of his own problems with depression and thoughts of suicide.

What do you suggest?
  2. mpk

mpk Well-Known Member

Lady, just tell him you are there for him and talk to him about things that he want's to talk about, listen.
    Lady Youth likes this.
  3. Rockclimbinggirl

Rockclimbinggirl SF climber Staff Member Safety & Support

Tell him you are there for him and he was not responsible for his father's death. Just being there will help. Make sure you take care of yourself too.
    Lady Youth likes this.
  4. Lady Youth

Lady Youth Active Member

Thanks. We're actually just Internet friends now but we've met in person before and are still quite close. We'll be holding a Skype call later for most of the night since no one has class or work tomorrow...

When we usually do this with a group or something to play CAH, but tonight it would probably be better to keep it between us since he hasn't really told anyone else in our group.
  5. John Diamond

John Diamond New Member

Lossing our loved ones is the bad phase of life but everyone has to heal with it. It really good that you are worried about your friend and you want to help him out to get out of his depression. You can do things like talking to him for long time and discussing some crazy and funny things with him or take him out at the places where you can make him feel peaceful. Let his all pain out talking to you with will make him feel relaxed.