Help with binge eating

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by weirdal, Dec 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weirdal

weirdal Forum Buddy

Hi everyone, been a while since I posted.

So over the years i've developed a real problem with my eating habits, and i've come to the conclusion that I suffer from Binge eating disorder. This is'nt something i've worked out over night, it's taken me many years to accept this, and I am very confident I do suffer from it, rather than just finding excuses for my bad habbits.

I went to the doctors the other day which had taken me about 5 years to pluck up the courage to do. I felt completely let down by his attitude, and he just handed me a weight watcher flyer and told me to have more self control - this was a big blow to me as I had finally taken the step to get help. I explained I thought it was much more than just having bad self control, but as he said i didn't have anorexia of bulimia ( the only 2 eating disorders worthy of being treated apparently), there was nothing more he was prepared to do for me

I'm a regular gym user (4 times a week) - I lift weights and I am quite a muscular build now, but i'm still overweight, and have far too much fat on me. I'm really reaching the end of my rope, and don't know how much more I can take. All i've ever wanted to be was "slim" and athletic, but I cannot control what I eat. I meant I literally have no control ,and regulaly have 4-5000 calorie days.

I feel so disgusted at myself, and every time i try and loose weight, I will find myself eating crap a few days later. I eat huge amounts of food in one go, and I am absoluteney out of control.

I need help, and am wondering if any of you have had any experience with recovering from binge eating disorder or similar.

Thanks a lot for reading, and in advance for any help.

Alex

2. Lux

Lux Well-Known Member

Hi Alex, I have an ED which lead to anorexia, which I know is the opposite, but I'm disgusted at the way you were treated by your doctor. You're right in saying that the reverse of binge does get taken more seriously, and it's just not fair.
    Have you considered the weight watchers though? I know it doesn't sound very dignified, but I have a friend who was in a similar position and she did actually manage to shift a lot of weight. They give you options, and you can still eat junk food, it all adds up in points or something (I think) and sometimes the support of others will help. Watching other people's progress etc.
    Even if it doesn't work out, you could go back to the doctors and say you tried it, or maybe a different doctor? I'm not sure.
    Sorry I couldn't be of more use.
    I hope you're well <3
    x

3. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

Hi. I've been attending a weight loss support group since July and I've been keeping a food log. As a result, I am getting a sense of what defeats me and then I binge on foods that are not good for me.

Many doctors just are not much help. They are trained to the pharmaceuticals of our day. I don't like the way he treated you but I'm glad he gave you information to people who will be genuinely concerned for you and are willing to share what they have learned.

I don't attend Weight Watchers but it's a starting point. A Nutritionist is a good resource too. Can your doctor give you a referral to one? Some of them focus on teaching people how to eat to stop food cravings. I've been reading a lot on the internet. There are good books on the subject too. I think a good starting book is "Wheat Belly" by Dr. William Davis. He has an internet page. I just ordered his 30 minute Wheat Belly cookbook due out on Dec 24. I ordered the kindle edition of books and I save them to a cloud reader on Amazon.com. It's cheaper that way and I can read it from my computer (plus I don't lose them that way).

There are a lot of people with good books on the internet but if you're like me, budget is a concern. I read the blogs and other free information these people have. Some have more free information than others. Dr. William Davis has a lot of free information. I can't order the books I would like to have but I've gleaned enough information to know the one book that would be most helpful to me and that's why I ordered the cookbook. I don't just want information, I want something I can use. If you like, pm me after next week to ask me if the book is really any good or not.

I recently listened to The Gluten E-Summit online in November and he is going to have a summary summit (free) online starting January 9th. I learned about how gluten and sugar sabotage our efforts to eat better. If you are interested, go to http://thedr.com I gleaned information from his summit that helped me a lot. I'm careful about looking at the whole picture of what and how I eat because there are too many fads out there. I have learned that the diet we eat today sets us up for weight gain.

I've had a good simple diet for a long time but I kept binge eating on junk. I made three changes to my diet, 1) I can eat between 6am and 9pm. The rest of the time is to allow my digestive system to finish it's job and rest. 2) I make sure I get sufficient healthy fats and protein. 3) I learned that I can have a sliver of real butter (not margerine) in a hot beverage to satisfy a food craving during the time frame each night after I've stopped eating for the day.

Since I've started doing this, I go longer between my binges and when I do binge I can really feel how the excess processed carbohydrates tear me up. I now look at processed foods and think do I really want to feel like that. It's easier to resist them now that I've made simple changes. I do however, eat these things uncontrollably when I get started on them. I hope this gets easier over time.

I'm sorry if I said too much here, but I hope my story has some information in it that may be helpful for you.

:hugs:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.