Help With DBT

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Player1LFG, Apr 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Player1LFG

Player1LFG Member

Hi there, I recently underwent both CBT and DBT and I was asked to leave the DBT group for falling behind, and I was wondering if other people had the same problem.

They claimed that in my case, I would frequently fail the multiple-choice questions of what the proper behaviour in a social situation was. I found a lot of the questions very confusing, often with either no 'correct' answers or with multiple 'correct' answers. The guidance counselor claimed that my answers were inappropriate as I would just choose the answer that would avoid confrontation, but I fail to see how that was inappropriate?

Also, did anyone else have any difficulty in their peer group with relating to the other members? I was told that if I didn't provide input and just stayed to the sides, I would have to leave this group and sign up again in 3 months. If someone doesn't have anything to add to the table because they lack experience in the subject matter, is it really a bad thing to keep their mouth shut? I was the youngest in the group, and everyone else I was paired up with were middle-aged divorcees. Being a single lesbian with absolutely no experience with hetero marriages just made it seem awkward to be asked what my course of action would be, I felt that I shouldn't be allowed to speak for them as I never felt that way or knew a thing about what it would be like to go through that. I was just trying my best to be as honest as possible.

I understand that in some dire situations, you need to make a stand - but the things they were trying to get us to stand up to in our lives seemed... petty? The sort of thing that one just has to deal with and ignore, that other people would look to someone foolishly for attempting to solve a problem that in reality isn't much of a problem. I understand that these are supposed to be 'baby-steps', but by heeding their advice based on what I told them was happening in my workplace it made my job even more hostile and anxiety-driven than before I had undergone the course, and eventually lead to termination from my job.

Am I the only person who has experienced this? Is there a better alternative to DBT that isn't so confrontational? Thanks.
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I am sorry this happened hun does not seem fair really they ask you to leave without trying to help guide you to what was expected and even if you did not give input listening to the group can be helpful in itself sounds like you should try a different group hun or maybe if you can go into one on one counseling
    It is hard when majority of group is older and there is no connection to what you are dealing with I do hope you find somewhere else to help you
  3. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Can I ask what condition you were placed into a DBT group for? ( do not share if it makes you uncomfortable) I ask because it sounds very very different from the DBT that my daughter was doing where the focus was on reducing conflict and finding ways to avoid escalating conflict.

The many questions having seemingly the same "correctness" answer is actually the point. Learning to differentiate small differences is part of the curriculum.
  4. Evanesce

Evanesce Well-Known Member

I had DBT and see a psychologist here in New Zealand and I must say it doesn't sound anything like what I did. My DBT was for Borderline Personality Disorder, I was never forced to go into a group as it was ascertained that this wouldn't be helpful for me with my trust issues and would just had made me more dissociative and had me pretending I was fine and giving what I thought was the answer they wanted.
    Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (or DBT) is a particular kind of therapy focused on helping people manage destructive habits and learn to tolerate and change painful emotion.

DBT was originally used as a therapy to treat Borderline Personality Disorder, a mental illness characterised by self harm and suicidal behaviour along with great difficulty controlling emotions.

However DBT has also been shown to be highly effective with addictions, anxiety, childhood trauma, PTSD, depression and anxiety.

It helps people to learn to manage distress more effectively, to generate the ability to accept painful emotions and end destructive ways of managing distress, such as self harm, alcohol and drug abuse or extreme anger.

It is a “behaviour therapy” so it focuses on helping people understand and change unwanted or difficult behaviours. It also incorporates mindfulness meditation approaches to help people better self observe and maintain control of their own behaviours and emotions.
    The only thing I can suggest is trying to find a good psychologist, one whom can earn your trust like my one did. They are worth their weight in gold so to speak, without the psychologist that is right for you it's hard to get the full benefit if any from DBT.
    Please post again if you need more info.
    Kind Regards
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.