help

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by lotr2012, Dec 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotr2012

lotr2012 Active Member

so i went to the doctor today to talk about my binge eating. he did absolutly nothing. he said then just lose weight and that was that. it seems like everyone that i talk to about this, just dismisses it. they think its not serious or something. i don't know what to do. i don't know how to stop. i don't know how to get help. i eat four or five pounds of food a day. and its all junk. i spend thirty to fourty dollars on food a day. i have three grand of credit card debt all spent on food. i weigh 450 pounds. i have chronic back pain, hypertension, knee pain, and sleep apnea. i can't stand for more than a few mins without being in pain. that is just the physical. the mental is worse. i can't look at myself. i can't buy clothes. i can't fit in booths, or seats on bus or airplane. i get stared at all the time. i feel like i should just kill myself because of it. i'm addicted. i eat and eat and eat. then i get sick and eat some more. i crave food. if i don't get it, i get headaches and everything. i am constantly planning what to eat next, and how i can eat it. what the fuck am i supposed to do about this other than just kill myself?

2. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

Have you considered seeing a nutritionist to get some sort of diet plan put in place? It may not mean cutting back on eating, but will definitely identify the proper foods to eat. Substitute in fruits and such in exchange for the junk food things. Get a blender and mix your own drinks from fruits rather than drinking soda. Also, look for another interest to occupy your time. Look for a support group you can attend. Do you have any friends who can help provide you moral support? Sort of like an "intervention"?

You definitely have a challenge to face and it won't be easy. Consider asking someone you trust (family?) to hold your credit card for you to stop some of the temptation, yet so it is still available if you need something important. Look for those distractions that might reduce the thoughts of eating. I.E., occupy yourself with another interest. The eating may be a form of a compulsive disorder and so if you have the ability to seek out mental health services, that would benefit too.

3. Percarus

Percarus Account Closed

First of all... Take a moment, pause, reflect, unwind, and watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfq_A8nXMsQ

Afterwards you should contemplate deeply on life, see the positive aspects of it, and mayhap then rely on a caloric counter calculator for 3 consecutive straight months in order to maintain the maximum weight loss range. I know this will be the hardest thing on your life but the thing you have to keep in mind is that you are not doing this for anyone else because in the end your weight does not matter, you have to pursue this as a challenge, a feat of accomplishment, an experiement to see what develops. Cut down the sugars, buy the proteins, and if you have spare time join a gym, why not (again a hard feat). 3 months of your life is not much but to be able to see the changes in the end is trully gratifying. The thing is before doing any of this you will need a purpose, a reason, a pivotal point in your life has to be marked that will encourage you through this ordeal. 3 months is not a long time but I do agree, the first two weeks will be the hardest and afterwards it will be routine, just make sure you have backup options of things to do to keep you busy. Space your meals evenly and I personally prefer to keep my dinner to a late hour so that I can sleep better without a rumbling stomach. In the end, even if you lose this fight remember it is not an impediment to your life, you are beautiful the way you are, but it is worth giving it a shot. Oh, and do not do it gradually, go straight into it! *Willpower, a virtue* :'(

4. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

If that doctor didn't listen, find another one who will. You deserve to get help for this and you shouldn't feel so bad about something that is basically an addiction. It has taken over your life, but things can be turned around.

5. swimmergirl

swimmergirl Well-Known Member

it is serious, just as serious as someone who is starving her or himself. I don't know why a doctor would say what he said. You need help, binge eating is a serious disorder, and there is help out there, you can't just stop eating, your going to have to still eat, and you need someone to help you figure out why you find so much comfort in binge eating, what does it do for you? Despite the pain it causes, there is often some benefit to the behavior, once you figure that out and replace it with a healthier behavior you will begin to recover, but it takes time and therapy to get you headed in the right direction. I have been recovering from bulimia for several years, it didn't get better over night, but it did get better, and I had lots of help, and felt like giving up in the beginning and going back to old habits. I think just by telling us you have taken a positive step, keep talking about it, there is hope.

6. thepainwithin

thepainwithin Well-Known Member

I remember some years ago a story on the news of a woman who lost 699 lbs (317 kg) and she started small by clapping her hands. And my roommate, who said he used to be over weight as a kid is now a professional personal trainer. I think you need someone to talk to as a professional, a therapist, not just a medical doctor, and someone to talk to and motivate you as a friend. I know it sounds generic, but set goals, and at least try. Like she did, start small... attempt a healthy food day once a week. Workout if you can. It won't be easy, but we all have the power to change.

This is a story of my best friends little brother. Hope it gives you some inspiration. http://www.hometownlife.com/article/20130110/LIFE/301100369

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.