Status
Not open for further replies.

foreverforgotten

Quiet Observer 🦋
SF Supporter
Hey...
I just wanted someone to talk to .. tonight is rough.

Anyone else here work minimum wage and have no other job experience to put on their resume? to get a better one? or no experience..? Anyone else a loser like me? Afraid of being homeless someday? With no family or friends? Just curious...

I'm terrified of the future.. I am a failure. In everything I've ever wanted out of my life. My basic goals. That seem insurmountable to me.

Life is wasted on me. Do you believe there is an afterlife? Like a hell? I don't believe in heaven or god or religion. But somhow I can believe that there would be a hell. There's always room for more suffering right? .

Last edited:

MisterBGone

ReaLemon
SF Supporter
Can't answer a lot of these... but! I have worked a lot of jobs, kind of in between minimum & up to - or should I say, well below what my educational degree/requirements might, or ought to yield. Here is what I have observed: the less I got paid, the harder I had to work; & in some ways. . . they (the lower paying ones) were the ones in which I'd have the hardest time doing now. Literally--both from a physical & mental standpoint. : ) So, don't feel badly. Any thing you're doing, and able to do is noble & worthy in my book. Whether it is helping others, giving care, pumping gas, running a cash register, flipping burgers, etc. It's All HARD_ (Unless you're a teen in high school, or something; first job kind of a thing & then it might be considered, "normal?"). Also, there's always other ways to get what you need. You can get a roommate, or something that requires a little out of the box, or lateral thinking, maybe? ... but I know it is scary when you're stuggling to put bread on the table, or keep the lights on. You're definitely not a loser! ...keep fighting~ : ) & see u in the game rm. ;) later!

foreverforgotten

Quiet Observer 🦋
SF Supporter
Can't answer a lot of these... but! I have worked a lot of jobs, kind of in between minimum & up to - or should I say, well below what my educational degree/requirements might, or ought to yield. Here is what I have observed: the less I got paid, the harder I had to work; & in some ways. . . they (the lower paying ones) were the ones in which I'd have the hardest time doing now. Literally--both from a physical & mental standpoint. : ) So, don't feel badly. Any thing you're doing, and able to do is noble & worthy in my book. Whether it is helping others, giving care, pumping gas, running a cash register, flipping burgers, etc. It's All HARD_ (Unless you're a teen in high school, or something; first job kind of a thing & then it might be considered, "normal?"). Also, there's always other ways to get what you need. You can get a roommate, or something that requires a little out of the box, or lateral thinking, maybe? ... but I know it is scary when you're stuggling to put bread on the table, or keep the lights on. You're definitely not a loser! ...keep fighting~ : ) & see u in the game rm. ;) later!
I work at a call center. I'm just always bottom tier compared to everyone else I meet. This is a good example here. as you said, these jobs are normal for teens. Not 30 year olds.. It seems a lot of self worth comes from ones work...tired of being at the bottom.

Last edited:

MisterBGone

ReaLemon
SF Supporter
I work at a call center. I'm just always bottom tier compared to everyone else I meet. This is a good example here. as you said, these jobs are normal for teens. Not 30 year olds.. It seems a lot of self worth comes from ones work...tired of being at the bottom.
I have. It's been some time. But I've had a lot of experience with roommates, mostly when I was in school & then maybe for a little bit beyond... It's not so bad, I actually wasn't "friends," with any of them. But you learn how to live with one another and adapt your behavior & living, or lifestyles so as to hopefully not interfere with theirs, or others, and vice versa. The more respectful everyone can be, the better! And it's nice to slice your rent by however many people you're living with. I've lived with 4 guys in a house, one girl in an apartment, and some other similar scenarios. Luckily, between work, school & whatever else I had going on, if I did happen to get in with someone I did not get along with, I was able to not see them a ton. Come & go & stay out of each others way..;)

I've not worked in one of those before, so I am not overly familiar. However, one of the main or big ones is on a stretch of road near a hospital in town. And everytime you drive by you see people standing outside on their breaks, and whatnot. I'd say the average age is above teenagers, but I don't know for sure. At least that's the way it is here, anyway (or so it appears, as though there are more adults working them). Try not to compare yourself to others. I know it is difficult because it is human nature. I'd read a quote recently, and I can't remember it, but it basically said or equated comparing oneself to others as a surefire way to ensure unhappiness, or disatisfaction, in life. It said it a little bit better (or more poetic) than that, obviously... :)

To me - just doing this job in & of itself is a victory! And you should feel rewarded in terms of your sense of self worth just for being able to hold & maintain such a high volume, and stressful job. I certainly couldn't do that all day long -- talk to people. I know people who do a similar thing for a health insurance company, I think. The building sort of looks like the one in the movie Office Space, & from what I understand, sort of resembles that environment, on the inside (with all the cubicles & such). But maybe something like that could be a possiblity in terms of a skillset that might transfer over. Probably just need to know how to work a computer & brush up on the company policies & make it through training or whatever. Girl I know says she basically gets in there at like 7:30 in the a.m. & then drinks coffee until 3:30 or 4:00 pm. While talking to people on the phone & helping them to resolve problems or issues, questions and so on and so forth, over their insurance plans I think- I want to say she told me she was initially hired as, I don't know if they called it a temp, but you were given like a 90 day contract, or something like that. So that they could evalutate your skills. And then they'd offer jobs usually to those whose work they were happy with or found favorable. I think it paid pretty well, too, considering you didn't need any formal education or training, beyond what they would themselves provide if I'm not mistaken.

Not that that's something you've got to do. But if you can find something you might feel you marry up to, or feel capable of tackling--& usually in order to increase your pay, you've got to somehow take on more responsiblity, in lieu of education or other qualifications. Point being, all is not lost. Your condition (depression or whatever) may be making you feel as though it is. And if you tell yourself you can't do something long enough, or believe that you are stuck in a particular place or situation (job), then it isn't to tough to find yourself believing it, or making it a reality. So, just got to change the mindset up a little and expand the possibilites a bit, in order to find something that maybe might be just a little more apporpriate for you. Not easy, for sure, but can be done. I feel- ; )

foreverforgotten

Quiet Observer 🦋
SF Supporter
I have. It's been some time. But I've had a lot of experience with roommates, mostly when I was in school & then maybe for a little bit beyond... It's not so bad, I actually wasn't "friends," with any of them. But you learn how to live with one another and adapt your behavior & living, or lifestyles so as to hopefully not interfere with theirs, or others, and vice versa. The more respectful everyone can be, the better! And it's nice to slice your rent by however many people you're living with. I've lived with 4 guys in a house, one girl in an apartment, and some other similar scenarios. Luckily, between work, school & whatever else I had going on, if I did happen to get in with someone I did not get along with, I was able to not see them a ton. Come & go & stay out of each others way..;)

I've not worked in one of those before, so I am not overly familiar. However, one of the main or big ones is on a stretch of road near a hospital in town. And everytime you drive by you see people standing outside on their breaks, and whatnot. I'd say the average age is above teenagers, but I don't know for sure. At least that's the way it is here, anyway (or so it appears, as though there are more adults working them). Try not to compare yourself to others. I know it is difficult because it is human nature. I'd read a quote recently, and I can't remember it, but it basically said or equated comparing oneself to others as a surefire way to ensure unhappiness, or disatisfaction, in life. It said it a little bit better (or more poetic) than that, obviously... :)

To me - just doing this job in & of itself is a victory! And you should feel rewarded in terms of your sense of self worth just for being able to hold & maintain such a high volume, and stressful job. I certainly couldn't do that all day long -- talk to people. I know people who do a similar thing for a health insurance company, I think. The building sort of looks like the one in the movie Office Space, & from what I understand, sort of resembles that environment, on the inside (with all the cubicles & such). But maybe something like that could be a possiblity in terms of a skillset that might transfer over. Probably just need to know how to work a computer & brush up on the company policies & make it through training or whatever. Girl I know says she basically gets in there at like 7:30 in the a.m. & then drinks coffee until 3:30 or 4:00 pm. While talking to people on the phone & helping them to resolve problems or issues, questions and so on and so forth, over their insurance plans I think- I want to say she told me she was initially hired as, I don't know if they called it a temp, but you were given like a 90 day contract, or something like that. So that they could evalutate your skills. And then they'd offer jobs usually to those whose work they were happy with or found favorable. I think it paid pretty well, too, considering you didn't need any formal education or training, beyond what they would themselves provide if I'm not mistaken.

Not that that's something you've got to do. But if you can find something you might feel you marry up to, or feel capable of tackling--& usually in order to increase your pay, you've got to somehow take on more responsiblity, in lieu of education or other qualifications. Point being, all is not lost. Your condition (depression or whatever) may be making you feel as though it is. And if you tell yourself you can't do something long enough, or believe that you are stuck in a particular place or situation (job), then it isn't to tough to find yourself believing it, or making it a reality. So, just got to change the mindset up a little and expand the possibilites a bit, in order to find something that maybe might be just a little more apporpriate for you. Not easy, for sure, but can be done. I feel- ; )
Hey..I appreciate your thoughts..plenty to think about.. *hug I like hearing others thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00