Hole in chest?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by ksmith86, Oct 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ksmith86

ksmith86 Well-Known Member

It feels like I've got this hole in my chest. More of a pressure really.... I like to describe it as a hole though. It's right below where the two sides of my ribcage meet, dead center. It's ALWAYS there, no matter what kind of a mood I'm in. I'm experiencing actual, physical pain from this; and it's constant. It's been this way for months now, feels like it's just a part of who I am at this point.

Is this normal? Up till now I've been attributing it to my "depression" or chronic sadness or whatever. Does anyone else experience this?

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Hun talk to your doctor ok it could be many things that is causing this pain hun acid indigestion ulcer etc hun get it checked out ok by your doctor hugs

3. ksmith86

Hahaha thanks eclipse :) I doubt it's acid or indigestion :p Have considered the possibility that it's something medical though. Hugs back!

4. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Hi, ksmith86...just echoing TE's suggestion. Are you really stressed out by something these days? Stress/depression can result in all kinds of odd pains. Best bet is to have a doc check you out. I hope you feel better soon. :hug:

5. petn

petn Member

I would know it if it changed back to normal when having a positive mood swing (even for seconds). I've never had anything like that which resisted to such swings though.

6. Wispiwill

Wispiwill Well-Known Member

Emotions can cause physical symptoms but, as has already been said, it's best to get the physical possibilities out of the way - just in case. The area that you describe is particularly rich in connections being close to the heart, lungs, stomach and other digestive organs as well as the diaphragm. Plus there's always the possibility of referred pain. If there are no other symptoms, though, then it's probably emotional in nature.

As it happens, it sounds a bit like something I have but since I have no up element, I can't say if it would go then. I'm in no pain with it, though - just the feeling of a hole. Does that help at all?

7. Shock

Shock Well-Known Member

Do you have asthma? I did when I was a kid and had a similar feeling, only it was like someone was standing on the middle of my chest squeezing it down. Is it difficult to breathe?

8. ksmith86

Thanks for all the responses guys. I did actually have about a 2 week upswing where I wasn't sad at all due to some of the factors in my situation improving. I didn't experience the pain then. Came back when I got sad again. So I'm gonna say it's most likely just emotional.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who experiences this!

9. in heaven

in heaven Well-Known Member

i know this feeling.
    it really feels like there's a open hole there

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.