• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

Hopeless and Lost

puffymilk

making the bed
SF Supporter
#1
I am so ashamed to admit this and I don't know why, but I just needed to let it out. I've been feeling so hopeless and lost. I feel sad and tired all the time. I feel like my life has no meaning. Every time I think about life or the future it depresses me. I can't picture my own future. So what? I have to work for some crappy company until the day I die? Make all those managers, those rich businessmen even more rich while I work my ass off for them and still never going to be (not even close) as rich as them? That sounds so horrible, I don't want to do that. But then, if I don't work what am I gonna do? Rot in bed all day? Oh, I need to take a break, take a vacation? I'll need money to do all that, and what do I do to get it? Work until I die. Everybody says life is beyond that but I personally can't see it and I see no future. I don't even think about being in a relationship or getting married because I also don't see the future in that. To me it only seems/feels like a fantasy, will never happen in real life, and I don't even want to try. At least with school or university you see the end of it. You have the exact dates; when you will graduate, when the holiday starts, etc etc. Life just has all this uncertainty and it frightens me. I don't know where it will end, and I need to know where it ends because I want to have the comfort of knowing.
 

Widowedvegan

Well-Known Member
#2
I am so ashamed to admit this and I don't know why, but I just needed to let it out. I've been feeling so hopeless and lost. I feel sad and tired all the time. I feel like my life has no meaning. Every time I think about life or the future it depresses me. I can't picture my own future. So what? I have to work for some crappy company until the day I die? Make all those managers, those rich businessmen even more rich while I work my ass off for them and still never going to be (not even close) as rich as them? That sounds so horrible, I don't want to do that. But then, if I don't work what am I gonna do? Rot in bed all day? Oh, I need to take a break, take a vacation? I'll need money to do all that, and what do I do to get it? Work until I die. Everybody says life is beyond that but I personally can't see it and I see no future. I don't even think about being in a relationship or getting married because I also don't see the future in that. To me it only seems/feels like a fantasy, will never happen in real life, and I don't even want to try. At least with school or university you see the end of it. You have the exact dates; when you will graduate, when the holiday starts, etc etc. Life just has all this uncertainty and it frightens me. I don't know where it will end, and I need to know where it ends because I want to have the comfort of knowing.
Please don’t feel ashamed to admit how you are feeling @puffymilk …
However, I do think that you are looking Too far into the future…
Life is definitely uncertain, I agree with you on that… But, the thing is that we don’t know How things will turn out until we give ourselves time…
I may not have had a high paying job or had things easy in life, but at age 48 I met my soulmate and we had almost 10 years together… Please don’t give up on life without giving it a chance…
 

puffymilk

making the bed
SF Supporter
#3
Please don’t feel ashamed to admit how you are feeling @puffymilk …
However, I do think that you are looking Too far into the future…
Life is definitely uncertain, I agree with you on that… But, the thing is that we don’t know How things will turn out until we give ourselves time…
I may not have had a high paying job or had things easy in life, but at age 48 I met my soulmate and we had almost 10 years together… Please don’t give up on life without giving it a chance…
Thanks... and I'm so happy to hear that you found your soulmate. I wish I could have something like that. You're one of the lucky ones then. I think you're right, maybe I need to calm myself down. I don't know why I keep thinking about that though, I just can't shake this feeling.
 

ib4uib

Well-Known Member
#4
Sounds like you're in a position to travel and see some of life.
I would never suggest something I've never done, and so if you look at a website called Helpx, you can find accommodation for free and get fed and watered. Plus you meet people from all over the globe and gain some important life experience.

Some of the hosts even offer full time jobs if you didn't want to go back to yours afterwards. You can go for just a few days, or months, or years!


Helpx
 

puffymilk

making the bed
SF Supporter
#5
Sounds like you're in a position to travel and see some of life.
I would never suggest something I've never done, and so if you look at a website called Helpx, you can find accommodation for free and get fed and watered. Plus you meet people from all over the globe and gain some important life experience.

Some of the hosts even offer full time jobs if you didn't want to go back to yours afterwards. You can go for just a few days, or months, or years!


Helpx
Thanks for the suggestion. I was actually looking forward to go to the UK to live there and get a job and it is so hard when you are not highly skilled. I had that chance a few years ago when I graduated from my master's degree where they would allow you to stay in the UK looking for a job for 2 years (graduate route visa) but back then my depression also hit me so I had to go back home. Still trying to find a way but it's really really hard. New Zealand also sounds nice.
 

Survivorist

Black sheep of my family....
#6
Follow this dream - do not let go. You are young, have the education needed etc. Going abroad was the best thing I ever did in my life (nearly 30 years now and I do not know how many countries). When I asked once for a recommendation letter I talked to the responsible for the personnel department. A grey, thin man - about 55 - smoking one cigarette after the other (was allowed to this time). He was jealous that I was leaving and told me, that he had the chance, when young, to go to New Zealand but did not do it - due to a relationship he had. I realized how sad he was not having done this - he apparently regretted that wrong decision his whole life. By the way - if you are not afraid of beer drinking, not very funny Germans: they currently search for specialists in all areas. Visa is easy - but in the long run you would have to learn the language.
 

IDontWantToDie

I will crawl away for good
#7
Nature intended us to be happy, so we should do something that lights our spark. We all make mistake when we find some job to pay the bills, but does it makes us happy? Does this job hold any meaning in our lives? Hell, It probably only pollutes nature and hurts people. Ussualy it is the root of all depression. Okay, not everyone can afford to work in a place they like, but you should try to engage your dreams into your everyday life. No matter how small, try to do things that mean something to you.
And there is nothing to be ashamed of. You are just awake to the sad reality of life. But just because that's how everybody else is living, that doesn't mean that we can't change anything about it. The system is broken, but we don't have to be.
 

puffymilk

making the bed
SF Supporter
#8
Nature intended us to be happy, so we should do something that lights our spark. We all make mistake when we find some job to pay the bills, but does it makes us happy? Does this job hold any meaning in our lives? Hell, It probably only pollutes nature and hurts people. Ussualy it is the root of all depression. Okay, not everyone can afford to work in a place they like, but you should try to engage your dreams into your everyday life. No matter how small, try to do things that mean something to you.
And there is nothing to be ashamed of. You are just awake to the sad reality of life. But just because that's how everybody else is living, that doesn't mean that we can't change anything about it. The system is broken, but we don't have to be.
Yeah I agree about the system being broken and I wish it would change but I don't know how and all I do is complain. I actually quit my job because one day I thought about the endless loop of hell of work and it just depresses the hell outta me. I decided to take a break for a while. I quit a month ago and literally the first day of me being unemployed I got like 3 interviews (people just reached out to me). I was burnt out and depressed so I had to decline them all. Now I feel slightly ready to go back to hell (work) and I've got nothing. It's funny really.
 

puffymilk

making the bed
SF Supporter
#9
Back then I felt like I always knew what to do with my life. I always knew where to go, I always knew what my next step was, I always had goals, now I'm just spiraling and have nowhere to go other than being sad about life.
 

IDontWantToDie

I will crawl away for good
#10
Yeah I agree about the system being broken and I wish it would change but I don't know how and all I do is complain. I actually quit my job because one day I thought about the endless loop of hell of work and it just depresses the hell outta me. I decided to take a break for a while. I quit a month ago and literally the first day of me being unemployed I got like 3 interviews (people just reached out to me). I was burnt out and depressed so I had to decline them all. Now I feel slightly ready to go back to hell (work) and I've got nothing. It's funny really.
I know exactly what you are talking about. Hugs.
Well... the tough truth is that we can't fix the system, it's way too fucked. And most people are just too degraded to do something about it. We just have to live our lives, be the best we can be, and set an example. That is the only way we can improve this world. It is going to be a long time before things here improve. But by doing what your heart wants to do, you end up in a place where you can make a difference. A small act of kindness at the right time and place can be so important. Be the carrier of love, not grief... but it's a long process of awakening, I'm also still struggling because the times are dark and I absolutely hate working too, It depresses me so much I become suicidal and quit... so... I get it.
I hope all that made at least a bit of sense.

Just remember that everything works out in the end. Everything is going to be alright.
 

ib4uib

Well-Known Member
#11
Thanks for the suggestion. I was actually looking forward to go to the UK to live there and get a job and it is so hard when you are not highly skilled. I had that chance a few years ago when I graduated from my master's degree where they would allow you to stay in the UK looking for a job for 2 years (graduate route visa) but back then my depression also hit me so I had to go back home. Still trying to find a way but it's really really hard. New Zealand also sounds nice.
Yep, depression has this habit of keeping you in the comfort ground, I found it hard to actually take a step outside of the comfort ground, all I was doing was hoping every day would bring some kind of magical fix, or somebody would come along and somehow save me. But neither was going to ever happen.
In the end I read somewhere that doing the same thing every day and expecting a different result bordered on nuts, and so I stepped out of this comfort ground then that became a turning point.

It's easy to fill in the future in how we think, I mean comparing past experiences to future decisions is the only guide we have, but once you cross the first hurdle and don't compare it to past experiences, you'll find everything instantly changes.

The reason I mentioned Helpx, is you'll find people are a lot more understanding than you think, it gives you a base, food and friends in which a whole new adventure starts.

Getting out of the pit does take effort, no drugs/therapy or magic potion is going to do it, you have to dig real deep and take that step.
It's the first step out!
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$255.00
Top