how can i stop my latest train of thought?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by emily83, Jun 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

lately i've been thinking about posessions and what i have/ don't have (never really thought like this before)

most of the things i think about i don't have, and it really gets me down to realise what little in this world i can actually call my own

how can i stop these thoughts?
  2. snarrylover

snarrylover Well-Known Member

I've been down that path a few times. I envy people their experiences now, rather than their actual belongings. I got over that by thinking of all the people in the poorer countries and seeing how sick they are. I know we should never compare our situations to other people's because it is, after all, how we cope with whatever we are dealing with that matters...but with regards to possessions I just started donating money to charity and buying things for them (like food and toys for animal charities, etc.) Made me feel better, made me realise the difference between need and want.

But it's important, as well, for us to have things of our own. In some ways they keep us tethered to this world, knowing that we have something. It offers a sense of belonging and we all need that.
  3. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

thanks for your reply..

i think it's a good point you made about the people in poorer countries.. we should be greatfull for what we have, even if it's not much

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.