How did your ED start and effects on your body.

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by DrownedFishOnFire, Aug 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Was wondering of others experience.

When I started my ED, I'm not labeling it anything else yet as only my Therapist knows. Few month ago stopped eating and skipping meals on purpose and was feeling better when i did. At first I started so I could lose weight but now its severe as I keep going on 24-48 hour fasts this month alone. My reasoning behind the fasts has now shifted from self image issues to deeper beyond self image. Last fast lasted 50 hours or so when I caved in and ate a cup of grapes. Was so upset as I've been avoiding fruit on purpose.

At first the potassium level was low at Julys visit to the ER

Ate norm or tried to before follow up to PCP for bloodtest and cardiac stress test as I had chest pains that would shoot back to my right arm.

Both tests were normal.

No reason to go back to doctors so been horrible with my body going through 24 hour fasts almost daily if I could and did one 48 hour fast and 55ish hour fast. Within a week span.

Now my skin is dry often, lips are chapped, my legs are crampy at times and diarrhea watery every BM rarely had a solid BM the last 3 weeks Stabbing pain in stomach in different areas

Now I want to fast again and see how long ill last this time it's become a competition.
  2. DrownedFishOnFire

sorry forgot about being tired all of the time now. overslept quite few times. No engery
  3. Growing Pains

Growing Pains Well-Known Member

The diarrhea is likely related to the fasting.

My last fast, it got so bad, I had an 'accident' (use your imagination there).

It's hard to say when mine started. The onset, I think, was early in life. I truly do believe that there is some truth in genetics planting the seed, and environment pulling the trigger. For many, it starts as an innocent diet. Not me. I just stopped eating one day. I was a binge eater and a compulsive over eater previously, and I got sick of how that made me feel. So, I stopped eating.

This was exactly a year ago today. It wasn't the first time I restricted, it was just the first time I restricted heavily... and realized restriction was what I was doing. I became quite obsessed, and fast.

At the height of it all, I had pretty much all the symptoms. Lanugo, cognitive impairment, heart palpitations, high liver enzymes, low iron, chapped lips, cracked lips, bags under my eyes, sunken features, thinning hair, hair loss, leg cramps, poor circulation, headaches, insomnia, random aches and pains.. it was miserable.

Early in recovery... constipation, chest pains, lung pains, insane anxiety, increased depression...

I have had pretty much every symptom. And they are horrible. I would often (and still do when I relapse) get random, stabbing pains behind my rib cages. Sometimes they knock me over. I have gallbladder disease now, but cannot afford the surgery to get my gallbladder out... so I haven't had it out. That adds to the general ED symptoms, making them intensified. Teeth problems. Pre-ED, I had minor cavities. Now, I'm looking at needing dentures within the next few years. My teeth literally always hurt. I can't fast anymore. I messed my digestive system up so much, that doing so leads to automatic bathroom emergencies.

Sometimes I wish I had known how it would leave me. But even if I had, I doubt it would have changed a thing.

I wish you all the best, and definitely encourage you to keep seeing your therapist. Take care.
  4. Bullzye

Bullzye Active Member

Hi DrownedFishOnFire

i'm the same, being tired all the time. no energy. I have no motivation to do anything. constantly thinking about food. it's mental torture.
    dry skin, hair falling out. laxative abuse has effected my body. I also don't have periods anymore.
    I hope youre okay. I know how difficult it is. PM me if you like.
  5. DrownedFishOnFire

Ty bullzye and some nights

I'm so immersed into it. Not mind the pains as I'm high in pain tolerance. Started all over again today to start 24 hour fast as ate hummus with pea crisp a big no no in carbs this morning as was too tired to stay focused
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.