How do I find Mental Help?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by ReluctantHero, Oct 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReluctantHero

ReluctantHero New Member

For a while I've wanted some kind of mental help. I live in a small town so Idk how to go about finding a good psychiatrist or anything. While I do have a good relationship with my mother, I still don't tell her everything. She knows about my negative feelings and a little bit about my depression, but I try not to worry her to much with it. She just tells me to pray and talk to god which doesn't really help me as I'm not religious. I just want another way to get help without involving her.
  2. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Welcome to the forum. You are among people who understand and support through your tough time. Depression is hard and involves taking one day at a time. You need re-assurance and you will get it from here. You cope with it at one day at a time. People treat depression in different ways but having a regular routine will help you. You need to surround yourself with people and keep posting here for support.

I think expressing yourself on this forum will help you and release any anxiety that your currently feeling. I hope this help and shows you are among people who understand similar feelings who have. You have to remember you are not alone.
  3. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

I am not sure of your age and that will certainly play a part in how difficult it is to get help without involving your parents to some extent. I would recommend talking to your regular doctor/GP first and ask then for a referral. Another simple alternative is to call 211 from your phone (social services line ) and ask for the contact information for your county mental health services. Of course googling for therapists/psychologist/psychiatrist in your town or surrounding area. Another alternative is talking to your counselor at school or college/university if you are still a student of any type.
  4. Adam

Adam SF Supporter

It would help to know what country you are in so answeres can be tailored to your location.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.