how do I get help for a food addiction?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by morning rush, May 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

I know people think it's a joke, but really my drinking soda has gone out of control, I've gained a lot of weight and I'm scared because when I walk I can hardly breathe, I'm really scared I'll die because I'm too fat. I can't stop drinking soda...and now I'm going to throw it away but idk how well that's going to go because it's not the first time I stopped...

I think it's a real addiction and so I don't know what to do, I feel very ashamed of it too. How could I let myself go like that?
  2. Clementine

Clementine Well-Known Member

It is a very real addiction, and if you don't get help you will have to try your hardest on your own to get out of that cycle. It takes small steps but you just have to get into a habit of it. I know from experience, but of course I do recommend professional help. Anyways, good luck
  3. flowers

flowers Senior Member

yes, it is a real addiction. You might want to check out food addiction counseling in your area. And also online or telephone Overeaters annynomous meetings. They really do have a lot of community support and success. I do not think they have OA meetings in person where you live. I looked.
  4. morning rush

I'm thinking that I will buy gum, and so when I get cravings I just take a gum. Yeah, I would like a food anonymous but there isn't...

it's just people told me, "well just stop" and I'm thinking if it were that easy I wouldn't be in this position. I can't just stop. The problem is not really stopping, it's restarting...I always end up starting again...I want to stop for good. My mom says to find something to replace it...yeah...

it's making me depressed...and I just want to sleep and just die...
  5. flowers

flowers Senior Member

6. morning rush

I saw a anonymous group for overeaters here in montreal, but it functions as the 12 steps of alcoholism and they say clearly they aren't religious but in their twelve steps they say give your problems to the hell is that going to solve anything???

I hate talking on the phone, but maybe the online meeting might help, I will look into it, thanks flowers...

I just feel so alone and stupid...
  7. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Omg...have exact same issue as you. Could live on coke or lucozade. But,in the last week have only drank 1 small bottle of soda. Everything else,water. I feel ashamed too,have gained a lot of weight and my stretchmarks are disgusting. But..i think now that ive joined a slimming class,im on the right road. It is a real addiction so don't feel silly.How I stopped was I just snapped and said this is it,im changing,i hate my body. You need to find something to motivate you into stopping,best of luck sweetie :hug: Don't feel stupid,you would be surprised at the amount of people addicted to soda.
  8. sudut

sudut Well-Known Member

hopefully you won't get a pot belly and regret it later, like when I was addicted to beer.
  9. flowers

flowers Senior Member

the link I posted is for meetings based on the 12 steps. I wish there were non religious free programs out there. But I dont know of any. I think the 12 steps are great for those who can do them. I honestly cannot because I am way too shame based. I think its all based on "higher power" although I know some people call their higher power "god".

I personally am addicted to hot chocolate made with cocoa powder almond milk and stevia. I also am addicted to popchips with grated cheese. But the cocoa additcion is more powerful. Cocoa is bad for me. It is very high in what chinese medicine calls "heat" which is the exact opposite of what I need. And so the addiction is damaging.

I was watching a tv show today. The Katie Couric show. She had on some people talking about documentary about how "obesity" is really caused from sugar addition. And our food corporations are pushing sugar foods on us from the time we are little children. Creating a society of people who crave sugar because it is highly addictive and they got hooked on it when they were young. The onset of type 2 diabetes in kids is also discussed. Fed up IMDb :

and there is even a facebook page.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2014
  10. cie

cie Banned Member

I've had an addiction to soda and fast food for a long time. We never had it as kids and I think that contributed, because when I finally had own income and could buy it there was nothing to keep me moderated. I think if I was used to it growing up it wouldn't have been so bad, but who knows, it's impossible to tell.

I fight it when my depression lifts somewhat because when depressed I can't properly see the affect anything I do has on my wellbeing and don't have the strength or energy to do anything about it.

When I go off soft drinks and/or fast food, for several days my body and hands in particular shake almost violently and I can't concentrate on anything. But when that ends there's still temptation, asides from that, I start feeling really good and the temptation diminishes.

I've actually beaten it from time to time, but every time my depression perks up I go back on it and there's no way to help myself.

Here's two tips:
    - Drink tea with a lot of white sugar in it to quell cravings, I put at least 3-5 teaspoons in, it might sound as unhealthy having that much sugar but it quells the craving for a short time and you wont (or, I wont, and supposedly you might not either) get addicted to the sugary tea
    - Drink water regularly to hydrate yourself; might sound obvious but if you have dehydration making you thirsty also it'll make you less able to resist because you'll need a drink and the lack of hydration can affect you in it's own way

The tea is what helped me the most. That and orange juice (also has a lot of sugar, generally) although the OJ was slightly addictive in itself so definitely recommend tea with sugar instead.

Good luck, it's a really horrible addiction.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.