• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

How do I go about asking for help?

#1
I'm constantly in pain, and really feel the need to either let go completely, or ask for help. I am a minor, who lives in the middle of nowhere, so I can't make my way to a hospital or doctor myself, and my parents don't believe in mental illness or anything, so I feel quite uncomfortable about asking them.

what should I do? I know and have come to terms with the need to get help, but how doq i I do it?
 

KM76710

Kangaroo Manager
SF Pro
SF Supporter
#3
I'm constantly in pain, and really feel the need to either let go completely, or ask for help. I am a minor, who lives in the middle of nowhere, so I can't make my way to a hospital or doctor myself, and my parents don't believe in mental illness or anything, so I feel quite uncomfortable about asking them.

what should I do? I know and have come to terms with the need to get help, but how doq i I do it?
Hello and glad to see you here. Online searches can be a help for looking and I hope you check out the forum. I find many things here just randomly searching the sections here and that may be a help for yourself.
 

Atreides

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
#4
Is there a guidance counselor you can talk to at school? I would start there. I'm glad you found SF. There are a lot of great people here who are understanding and want to listen and talk. Feel free to join the chat room anytime. You'll always have a place here to share your thoughts and feelings. Just know you're not alone. We're here for you, and we're glad to have you here.
 

johnDoen

Outsider in the Realm of Lost and Found
#5
I'm constantly in pain, and really feel the need to either let go completely, or ask for help. I am a minor, who lives in the middle of nowhere, so I can't make my way to a hospital or doctor myself, and my parents don't believe in mental illness or anything, so I feel quite uncomfortable about asking them.

what should I do? I know and have come to terms with the need to get help, but how doq i I do it?
I recommend contacting a helpline in your country in this section of the forum (Resources section), as a trained volunteer might be able to assist and inform you better in dealing with mental health issues. The best we on SF can do is to support you along way.
 

Daphna

Ninja of light
#6
I'm constantly in pain, and really feel the need to either let go completely, or ask for help. I am a minor, who lives in the middle of nowhere, so I can't make my way to a hospital or doctor myself, and my parents don't believe in mental illness or anything, so I feel quite uncomfortable about asking them.

what should I do? I know and have come to terms with the need to get help, but how doq i I do it?
I’m a parent myself. As a parent I can tell you that parents don’t want their children to suffer. I encourage you to go to them first and explain what’s going on. The more honest you are the better they’ll understand. Give them a chance to help you. If then, they prove that they cannot or will not accept your struggles move forward with a different adult, but parents should be first.

My oldest daughter went through some trauma at school. She didn’t come to me and she went instead to her school faculty. While they helped with ending the traumatic situation, they couldn’t help her the way I can.
Years later she told me everything. Together we worked through the experience and she admitted to me that I was the one she should have went to first. Don’t get me wrong, the school would have been involved either way due to the nature of the issues, but I would have had the chance to help her at home too. No one loves you or knows you like your parents. They should definitely be given the opportunity to be involved in your struggles. There’s a good chance they’ve dealt with the same thing at your age and can share their wisdom with you.
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$255.00
Top