How do I talk to a therapist

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Insomniac2012, Feb 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Insomniac2012

    Insomniac2012 Member

    I have been considering talking to the school therapist. I am hesitant because I'm pretty sure they would be obligated to hospitalize me for my thoughts. My thoughts are so fucked up there is no safe place to talk about them. I don't find the relief I need by tip-toeing around the details. When I have seen therapists before I just talked about events that increased my depression. My 'events' are not very serious so they don't understand how severely depressed I am. I can't tell them about how I visualize things. I just feel like my real thoughts are too extreme to take to a therapist. So even if I went I wouldn't been able to get real relief.
  2. flowers

    flowers Senior Member

    Hi. I hope you will take a risk and start saying things to the therapist. Because sometimes this can be the best way to get the help needed. I know it is so tempting to just keep things to oneself so as to not rock the boat. But that just allows things to fester and become larger. If you know what I mean. Can you write down what these thoughts are? ( if they would not break any of the sf guidelines here) it might be helpful to try it out here and get feedback from folks re if they think the school therapist would be obligated to hospitalize because of the thoughts. Sometimes people here do have a pretty good sense of what is okay to say. eg I tell the pdoc that I want to die. But she knows they are thoughts and I am not going to act on them. I have told therapists this as well. They have the same response.
  3. JmpMster

    JmpMster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

    I would really recommend talking to the therapist. Firstly, most people would be surprised at how "un different" their thoughts are from many other people. In your case, If you talk to a therapist and say they do not understand the problem enough to get real help it may well be because you are with-holding too much to give them an idea of the severity. You cant not tell them how bad and also wonder why they do not think it is so bad....

    A school therapist cannot hospitalize you anyway. The most they can do is refer you to an actual psychiatrist. Once again, if a therapist is not helping then that may be the best step for you. The alternative is nothing changes and you do not seem happy at the moment.
  4. unionfalls

    unionfalls Well-Known Member

    Hi Insomniac2012, I say talk with the therapist as well. How to go about it is a problem, but the green quote above sums it up. I hope you can make this step,as it may be able to help. I waited over three months to see a therapist this last time and it only made things worse. Please go, take the risk, be as honest with the therapist as you can.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.