• Apologies for the issue with a bizarre redirect on the site earlier today. There was a large server update and an error in an IP address had the traffic routing wrongly. No hacking or anything nefarious and nothing to worry about. Sorry for any stress/anxiety caused. Very best wishes - SF Admin

How do you motivate yourself?

Well, I've been having trouble doing all the shit I have to do in the last few months. And actually I have to do a lot. I think a lot of people can relate with me in this point.
So, what do you do to motivate yourself for everyday life? It doesn't work for me to just force myself because I'm a fucking crybaby sometimes.

I would appreciate it if you tell us your strategy. I am sure that it benefits many users and guests.

(I'm sorry if a thread like this already exists, I just couldn't find it.)

My experience is that motivation has to do with something physical rather than being something that you can talk yourself into.

There are a couple of antidepressants, fluoxetine and wellbutrin that are used to help with low motivation.

My personal preference is to use acupuncture, Chinese herbal medicine, and dietary changes.

Regular gentle exercise and keeping regular sleep hours might help too.

BraveFace

SF Supporter
@neverendingnightmare ... get yourself a 'motivation partner'
1552993237866.png

I pasted this from someone who I am in contact with on here. Sorry if it is hard to read, but I did not want to show their details.
Point is, know what you want and be honest about what you are actually doing to achieve it.
It doesn't matter if it is domestic (my downfall!), work, family... it's what matters to you

Bloop

River Lea by Adele
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Plan out when I am going to do things by. By setting myself a deadline in advance it gives me the opportunity to say "you know what, no. I'm not doing that today because I don't want to/don't have the energy/cba. I give myself time to find an opportunity to do the task when I want to. Not always possible I know.

I also motivate myself as I am doing the activity I don't like. I will listen to some music if I am working on something that does my head in. I will put in breaks for work and tasks. In the breaks I will do something nice for myself, have some delicious food, a refreshing drink, a cigarette (not so nice for my health but still), play a quick video game, listen to some songs, watch tv, etc.

I tell myself that once I get it out the way (all the work and tasks) I can go back to doing the things that I like to do. And believe me, it is these things I do, my hobbies, which keep me going through the bs in everyday life.

I have to focus on just completing the first step. Things like turning off the TV or just standing up can seem overwhelming and a monumental task sometimes because I'm focusing on everything that comes after rather than the first thing that I need to do.

My therapist keeps telling me things like to give myself a reward if I accomplish a task. The thing that seems to be missing from her plan is that I struggle to care about anything, so nothing is really worth doing the task. Perhaps someone else will have better luck with her plan than I do.

rubytigrcat

Plan out when I am going to do things by. By setting myself a deadline in advance it gives me the opportunity to say "you know what, no. I'm not doing that today because I don't want to/don't have the energy/cba. I give myself time to find an opportunity to do the task when I want to. Not always possible I know.

I also motivate myself as I am doing the activity I don't like. I will listen to some music if I am working on something that does my head in. I will put in breaks for work and tasks. In the breaks I will do something nice for myself, have some delicious food, a refreshing drink, a cigarette (not so nice for my health but still), play a quick video game, listen to some songs, watch tv, etc.

I tell myself that once I get it out the way (all the work and tasks) I can go back to doing the things that I like to do. And believe me, it is these things I do, my hobbies, which keep me going through the bs in everyday life.
I like the idea of giving yourself a chance to decide not to do it. Then it’s an affirmative decision and a acknowledgment thst it still needs to be done. Instead of just drifting in the fog, which is how too many of my days go.

Slothish

I don't know who this quote is from but I have it by my desk and I've found it to be true.
"Passion is the result of action, not the cause of it."
The hardest part for me is getting started, once the ball is rolling I can usually get into it and get the job done. But getting started is a beast.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$560.00
Goal
$255.00