I wish I could believe that. But literally no one I know gives two shits and a dime. My supervisor told me I'm not bringing joy to the office anymore and people have commented on it. So... to keep my job I put on s mask of happiness every day and dutifully serve as court jester. So... yes, folks are very understanding.
You still have to do all the same shit that made you fit in to the company’s culture in the first place. If people don’t want to be around you because you bring them down, that is different from nobody hiring you because you have a depression diagnosis.
Have you been fired? Your boss and your coworkers know, yet you are still employed. That’s called “being understanding.” Your boss and your coworkers spoke to you instead of firing or ostracizing you, that’s called “being understanding.”
Any problem they have or had with you was based on your behavior, not a diagnosis or the lack thereof. I’ll refrain from commenting on whether that was fair of them or not, but interpersonal relationships have never been fair to begin with. Your employment hasn’t changed though.
A couple thousand on therapy is a few months at most, and you’ve only seen one. If you don’t want to do it anymore, if you want to say “the hell with that” then fine, that’s your choice. You still haven’t given it as long as it needs, not by a long shot.
It’s like the 400lb guy going to the gym a few times, then getting discouraged and giving up because he doesn’t see the results he wants immediately.
If you are choosing not to put in the work, if you keep coming up with excuses not to try, if you say “to hell with that” to possible solutions before you’ve given them a fair chance, then people just plain won’t believe you when you act like things are hopeless.