• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

How i become socially smart?

#1
Hello everyone. I am Joe or you can call me whatever yall want.

I have been thinking lately how do I build more social skills? As I am very stupid when it comes to interacting with others. I always feel awkward and the person I am with.

I can't interact with more than 1 person I feel overwhelmed and just can't speak. I can know 2 people very well but when we become a group and talk I fail out of the conversation.

Also my social circle is very small. I only know family, friends from university. That's it. I may know people from my old school but we don't talk nor we meet up anymore.

What do I do? I need to probably make a place for me to regularly visit. Like a club? Workplace? Idk I am lost. I am very shy let alone be able to work and be able to hold a conversation with a customer or my boss in work. They will probably use me and laugh at me.

I don't know help me guys

Cheers,
JoeTheBug
 

Atreides

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
#2
Like any skills, social skills are built from practice. You have friends from university, so you have at least some social skills. I think sometimes we don't talk much because we can't think of something to say or add to the subject of conversation. I think the trick is to just talk. Say whatever comes to mind.
 
#3
They are not actual friends, they just use me if I am useful other than that they ignore me.

I can't balance my things. Plus I want to have a place for me to go to,to be more productive


Cheers,
JoeTheBug
 

Fbr27

a ghoul keeper
#4
I'm not super social, but what I can say is that people that are very sociable talk just about anything.

If you talk about the price of gas, about shoes or about the rain, people will usually talk back.
 

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
#5
Social skills aren't something we all just 'have', that's for sure. Just like anything else, you have to learn the skills and then practice them. So you seem to think you can speak with one person pretty well, yes? But then when you talk with more than one person at a time you start to not be able to know what to say - or you don't know when it's your turn - or you aren't sure how to proceed? Do you know what the problem is when you're talking to more than a single person?
 
#6
I'm not super social, but what I can say is that people that are very sociable talk just about anything.

If you talk about the price of gas, about shoes or about the rain, people will usually talk back.
Well yeah it works at first for me and then afterwards people be uninterested in me. I probably talk too much.


I Don't know what to do really I am trying my best here but not getting anything in return.
 
#7
Social skills aren't something we all just 'have', that's for sure. Just like anything else, you have to learn the skills and then practice them. So you seem to think you can speak with one person pretty well, yes? But then when you talk with more than one person at a time you start to not be able to know what to say - or you don't know when it's your turn - or you aren't sure how to proceed? Do you know what the problem is when you're talking to more than a single person?
Yeah exactly that, but i just feel like I am out of conversation or that I can't jump in or have my turn to tak
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$255.00
Top