How long before therapy starts working?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by pithrania, Oct 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pithrania

pithrania Active Member

I've been in therapy for about 6 months now, and I'm really sick of it. I hate it and I feel as though it is not working. Maybe I need to give it time?
    I don't really think so, I'm starting to think it is just a waste of money.

How long did it take before therapy started working for you ?
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

If you do not feel the therapist is helping you then perhaps you are not a good match If your gut feeling is you are not getting anywhere talk to your therapist see if you can change or do a different approach if that does not work perhaps looking for a new therapist but honestly it does take time some therapist move at a slow pace so as not to trigger you to much
    if you want to do more talk ok to your T get things out open
  3. flowers

flowers Senior Member

hi. Its often very hard to tell when therapy is working. often times it can be more painful to be in therapy. So it might feel like it is not working. Sort of like when wounds are cleaned out. It takes such a long time and can be painful.

Sometimes it might be that the therapist is waiting for a sign from the client to move to a more substanative route. Perhaps you are now ready for that. And the therapist can assist in moving to the next level of therapy. And yes, sometimes the therapist is not right for the job. And the client does need to move on.

No way to know whats really going on. So I do hope you can talk with him or her. Perhaps Ask him or her if they feel that there is any progress being made. Ask what their vision is for therapy with you. After hearing the answer, perhaps you can assess if you want to stay or find a new therapist.

Maybe after discussing it with the therapist maybe you can post her or his answer here. let us know what he or she said. And what you said.
  4. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Therapy starts to work as soon as you allow it to. If you go in with negative feelings and thoughts, or allow yourself a defeatist attitude, it is never gonna work. But if you try really hard to attend each session with your ears and eyes wide open, then things can start for you. You will also be able to see much more clearly if this therapist is right for what you need. If he/she isn't then move on and find the one that will make a difference. But the bottom line is, that it depends on when you are ready to let the therapy benefit your needs.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.