How marvelous... Another obstacle for my social anxiety.

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by AsphyxiateOnMisery, Jan 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AsphyxiateOnMisery

AsphyxiateOnMisery Well-Known Member

Today was my first day of class for spring semester. In my English class, we have to write a research paper...he gave us specific topics to pick from and put people with the same topic into groups. Now every time I come into class, I have to be with my group. I don't like that at all. I know these people may feel just as awkward about it as I do, but i bet they're not scared out of their minds to do something wrong and look like an idiot, or somehow not fit in with everyone else. Sigh. I'm going to do my best though I guess.

2. Speedy

Speedy Staff Alumni

Hi there,

When I took English at a community college two years ago, we worked in groups as well....I hope your class experience does not cause you great distress. Keep us posted! :hug:

Alex

P.S. Do you know whether class participation is a component of your final grade?

3. Tmacster1

Tmacster1 Well-Known Member

I'm currently taking English 101 in community college at the moment and it's stressful at times. Participation isn't really the major factor with me it's the 3 essays I have to do. Other than that everything is golden. Keep us posted though :hug:

Don't let the class burden you with to much distress this quarter.

Trevor,

4. AsphyxiateOnMisery

Alex - Well it IS going to cause me distress...that goes without saying. And I'm sure if I went to the teacher and said I can't be in a group, he'd say, "well then you shouldn't be in college". So pretty sure it's going to affect my grade.

Trevor - I'm not worried about the research paper itself. I'm writing about assisted suicide, which is right up my alley. I was never worried about school work anyway. Just the people I have to deal with.

5. Tmacster1

Tmacster1 Well-Known Member

At least your not worried about the research paper its self. That's and interesting topic, and I'm glad it's somewhat up your alley because you can write about it well. That's also understandable about the people you have to work with. I hope you get a good final grade, and I think it's alright if you don't want to be in a group. Tell your teacher your concerns for not being in one. I don't like working in groups myself. I like to work alone but sometimes I have to go in groups... I don't think your teacher will say "well then you shouldn't be in college" That's a wrongful thing for the teacher to say. He's there to teach and support students in an environment of learning. If the teacher does that he's not doing his job. The teacher might workout some alternatives so you can keep your grades up.

Trevor,

6. AsphyxiateOnMisery

Well thankfully I don't have to work with anyone on my actual paper I'm pretty sure, just basically discuss ideas with other people in class. I freaking HATE working with people on projects. Not to sound egotistic, but they always make me get a worse grade than I would have gotten by myself. And I mean he may not say those words exactly, but you'd be shocked how many teachers feel that one should be able to work with other people to be a successful college student.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.