How seriously do you take your dreams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelly

SF Supporter
I guess dreams can mean something, a premonition of some sort, maybe a forewarning/sign if it really is applicable to your current life.

i read somewhere dreams are just your brain sorting out memories and trying to make sense of all them and where to store them afterwards, i guess which is why sometimes dreams dont make any sense...

Lol when i was a child, way before “inside out“ was a thing, i used to think that there’s a country, a community inside my brain, all working to make my brain function specially during dreams...

Dots

Misknown Member
I don't dreams have any prophetic value only that they reveal feelings we want to repress from awareness in waking life. To me this shows we can't really get rid of unwanted feelings by repressing them
I can connect with this way of thinking, especially as society tells us to repress emotions all the time. What do we do with it all? All the things we're not allowed to feel and all the daydreams we don't act upon? I suppose it would make sense to present in dreams.

As for prophetic value... well... if dreams are representations of our perception of reality, our repressed emotions, our experiences, sight, sound, smell and we are processing all we experience and all we know and all we don't remember we know, I think there's a possibility for our subconscious to predict some scenarios in our lives vaguely.

Shelly

SF Supporter
I have different types of dreams. I've experienced lucid dreaming since I was a child - it comes in very handy at times. I can almost experiment with how I'd like the dream to end until I find an ending I'm comfortable with.

But sometimes it just doesn't happen and the nightmares can be awful. Recently I had a dream that my daughter was abducted while out on a date. It stayed with me for days and all I wanted to do was cling on to her. It certainly didn't help when she actually went on a date the following week - I nearly insisted I went with her.

I know they're just dreams and have no bearing on reality so I don't set much store by them but when they're disturbing they do hang around in my head for a while.

Then there are the dreams that are more like flashbacks. Memories of something that's already happened. There's no lucid dreaming possibility here as I already know the ending. They can affect me for days or weeks even, it's almost like that event happening all over again. They make me frightened to go to sleep.
ohw this is a good one, i’ve only encountered the term lucid dreaming back in uni... but it really works too, being aware you are dreaming and having full control of it.

now when it comes to nightmares, there are some that keeps coming back, something like flashbacks too...
There are also terrible ones involving hearing voices and demons — with that i just play a normal boring documentary as my white noise while sleeping — to remind me that i’m dreaming, and that i can change and control whatever nightmare i’m having.
(Sorry if i dont make any sense one of my cats is meowing at me because she wants to play and I can’t really think straight with her loud meowls at me.)

Lara_C

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I can connect with this way of thinking, especially as society tells us to repress emotions all the time. What do we do with it all? All the things we're not allowed to feel and all the daydreams we don't act upon? I suppose it would make sense to present in dreams.
Yes, we cannot take charge of ourselves/lives if we are denying and repressing our feelings we don't want to feel which are unconsciously or semi consciously motivating us. I think they always surface anyway.
As for prophetic value... well... if dreams are representations of our perception of reality, our repressed emotions, our experiences, sight, sound, smell and we are processing all we experience and all we know and all we don't remember we know, I think there's a possibility
Yes, I see what you mean, but I would take it as a warning rather than a define prediction. A prediction of what could be it we don't bring what is unconsciously motivating us into the light of full awareness, accepting our feelings are there instead of denying there presence.

Lara_C

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
ohw this is a good one, i’ve only encountered the term lucid dreaming back in uni... but it really works too, being aware you are dreaming and having full control of it.
I recently had a dream in which just before I woke up a disembodied voice said 'if you keep believing this is real, you will never wake up'.

Dante

Git
SF Pro
SF Supporter
Please forgive the long reply in advance.

Your mind can be seen as split into the conscious and the subconscious, the conscious deals mainly with ideas, images, events, real tangible stuff, whilst the subconscious mainly in emotion and feeling. As far as I get it, whilst you are in REM sleep your subconscious mind is processing your recent thoughts, feelings and experiences, and your dreams are your conscious mind trying to interpret this process, so it is your conscious mind's interpretation of your subconscious mind's understanding of the experiences of your conscious mind, imagine using google translate on a page of text, from English to Chinese and back to English, that's kinda whats going on. The reason dreams are valuable is because it is the most direct look we get at our own subconscious, i.e. at our own thoughts and feelings, all we have to do is reverse the translation by 1 step and then put that into context.

So, say I dream about running from something, and the feeling that dream gives me is of fear, my conscious mind grabbed an image or scenario that it relates to the feelings and ideas my subconscious was processing at the time, so what is running away? It could be that im scared of or avoiding something, or that I feel pressured by something, backed into a corner and all I want to do is run away, so to figure out what specifically it is, I just need to look at my recent memory and find context, why would I feel like I'm avoiding something or being hounded by something? Oh yea, my last week at work has been so busy I feel like I cant turn around without someone wanting a piece of me, hence the feeling of being pursed and thus the dream.

The above was a simplistic example, but the same idea can decode most dreams and give you a very literal and obvious look into how things are making you feel. Interpreting your own dreams shouldn't be TOO difficult as each translation was made with your own interpretations and associations and your mind knows it all anyway, you just need to be open to figuring it out.

There are only 2 parts of my dream life that I don't fully understand (or cant decide upon):

1) I had a couple of lucid dreams, each time my best friend (dead) appeared in the dream and the whole dream stopped, I had no control over the dream (as many people say you do in lucid dreams) but I was awake and aware I was dreaming, and I chatted with my friend, no dream has ever felt that real, the dream itself felt fake as hell, but he and our conversation felt real. It was like someone else popped in and put the dream on pause to say hi. I was convinced before, but now I just kind of hope that it was really my friend saying hello from... well, you know.

2) I had a series of dreams at university which I can only describe as malicious, they didnt seem to relate to anything else in my life, and unlike most dreams which seem to start in the middle, these all started very mundanely at the beginning and grew naturally, they seemed to be tailor made to guidedly and naturally form a single negative emotion so powerful that it stuck with me for the rest of the day. Depression, Loss and pure murderous Hatred are the ones I remember. The Hatred one focused on a housemate, we got on quite well, but after that dream I struggled to look him in the eye for the rest of the day, I ended up just avoiding him, the first time I saw him that day I felt a powerful urge to attack him, each dream was so well orchestrated and well thought out, it was weird.

So, aside from those two examples, I think dreams are pretty straightforward and useful, something to be used as a diagnostic tool for your own problems, or a way of gauging your mental state.

Again, sorry for the long reply.

MichaelKay

As many others here I think my dreams are mostly expressions of subconscious emotions.

I remember when I was in rehab. I had the most vivid dreams the first few weeks after getting clean. So did everyone else at the rehab. Most of my dreams were of me using again and having my family or friends find out. I always woke up with anxiety and deep shame that I could feel throughout the entire day. It was deeply unpleasent but I learned to accept it and it slowly went away. I don't attribute much value to my dreams though. They are just expression of desires and fears I already knew I had.

However weird it may sound I normally don't mind having nightmares because I quite like waking up with the adrenaline pumping and feeling fresh.

dandelion s

RAW, well done
SF Supporter
Hey everyone,

I can't sleep and I'm curious about how others interpret or view their dreams?

Do you take them literally, metaphorically?

Do you think they're foreshadowing what's to come?

Do you give heavy weight to your dreams or none at all?

I have vivid dreams and it can take me a long while to detach myself from the emotions experienced while in dreamland.

I believe they are my brain trying to process my experiences and emotions, but I don't think that's the full story...
I have a few ideas about what dreams are and maybe they are all possibilities.

I think they are sometimes made in part by events that occurred during the day or recently and were left dangling. Then when asleep you return to that thought but since there is no new information you speculate or embellish etc.

There is also a possibility that what occurred somehow resonated with you and brought to mind an earlier experience or idea. You then my reprocess the event or idea.

Sometimes a dream could be just a scattering of many small incomplete thoughts and impulses that do not really make much sense.

Maybe unlike most I do believe in a spirituality connection. But though I have had a few I considered to be, I can't remember them at the moment so not much to say about it now.

You may think me a bit crazy calling myself extraterrestrialone. But somehow I often suspect I'm a spirit in my present body and some of my dreams are made from remnants of experiences while existing on other planets. Like weird animals and plants and situations. Who knows? Why not?

But glad I just stumbled upon this thread. Just a little while ago I posted a dream I had yesterday about weird insects somewhat like praying mantises called megamans. It was just so crazy I had to tell. If interested I can find it and post a link.

But to answer your questions, I'd say yes sometimes to them all. I think dream causes are a mixture of many things to varying degrees at different times or just one. Love talking about this. So thanks!!!

dandelion s

RAW, well done
SF Supporter
I personally don't think there's anything "special" to dreaming, not even on a spiritual level. All because of the fact that lucid dreaming exists.

I have had lucid dreams almost non-stop for the past 10 years, because I'm controlling myself in the dream I don't have nightmares anymore. Dreams can become somewhat meaningless in a way, I sometimes have to force myself to stay in the (lucid dream) or otherwise I would wake up not well rested enough.

Because it's possible to stay in the same place too while in the envisioned dream world and the fact that having a conversation with "someone in the dream" is just you talking to yourself. If you never learned certain parts of a language, never saw certain colours in reality, didn't taste and eat certain types of food - then you wouldn't be able to experience them in the dream.
But couldn't the lucid dream be overriding other reasons that would be there otherwise?

dandelion s

RAW, well done
SF Supporter
I love it when I get complex and interesting/fun dreams - I write and it inspires me creatively.

I think dreams often are pretty random but can sometimes give us an indication what our subconscious fears or desires are.
My best writing is always based on particular dreams. It does spark creativity but for me some of that is clearly very psychologically brought about I think from childhood/early events or environment at home when growing up.

MisterBGone

SF Supporter
Serious as a “Heart_Attack!!” ; ) ...& I’ve already had one or two of those, but I’m still standin’-yeahYESHYesh!!!!;)~*•>\/_.^ _______ honestly i only ever pay attention to the overtly “sexualized,” ons - some might call these, “fantasy,” I think of them a s “waking,” or a reimagining of sorts . . . :^))) Yoi may SaAaY.!;)~ im a A dream Er!.(^: —but im Not the.only: ONE ☝️ = I hope 🤞 some dAaAy... (you’ll join us?) /\/~^*•<] *~~^~~* ))) p.s. a vast majority of this was a joke! :D

LonelyHiker

Incidental aka FairWeather™
SF Supporter
I think dreams are the product of our brains taking a nightly "psychic dump"...I honestly don't attach any significance to them. I've had stress dreams (usually where I'm being chased by someone or something, or I'm at work and way behind and can't get caught up no matter what I do). But the great majority of my dreams are just goofy, weird and surreal, with nary a shred of semblance to real life.

A typical dream:

I'm in the culdesac in a typical suburban neighborhood. A moose is ambling by with christmas lights tangled in his antlers.

Two squirrels driving a miniature golf cart come out of the woods. They park, climb up the moose and retrieve the lights.

Then they hop back in the cart and drive off back into the woods.

----------------------------

And this is one of the "less weird" ones.

Gonz

₲‹›Ŋʑ
Firstly, and I'm sure I've commented on this before, I'm continually surprised at the number of people here who know about lucid dreaming. If I were to try to talk about it with literally every person I know in real life, there's only one who I think would even know what it is. Most would just look at me like I'm crazy.

I had no control over the dream (as many people say you do in lucid dreams)
This is my issue, in recent years I've become quite good at becoming lucid (lots of depression naps means lots of opportunities to practice, and that kind of relatively short interrupted sleep is the kind where it's easiest to achieve lucidity), but I can never seem to take any kind of control without waking myself up. Even so much as trying to move my dream-body will end it. I can only quietly observe. The most control I have is over what aspects of the dream I pay attention to which can affect the directions the dream goes in. Even then, there are limits, like I've even had dream characters forcefully redirect my attention to certain things like there was some predetermined set of directions for the dream to go into that I couldn't deviate from and if I tried too hard to go my own way, I'd just wake up.

Gonz

₲‹›Ŋʑ
Because it's possible to stay in the same place too while in the envisioned dream world and the fact that having a conversation with "someone in the dream" is just you talking to yourself. If you never learned certain parts of a language, never saw certain colours in reality, didn't taste and eat certain types of food - then you wouldn't be able to experience them in the dream.
Yeah, like I've never been anywhere in a dream that I hadn't already been to while awake. All my dreams take place in locations that are familiar to my waking self. Sometimes (always) these places connect in bizaare ways, and sometimes I end up in places that seem stitched together out of other places that I know, but I never go anywhere new.

dandelion s

RAW, well done
SF Supporter
I think so, lol. Have you ever had those dreams where you think you woke up then realised that you only dreamt you woke up?
i had weird dreams similar when i was in my teens. i think i once dreamt that my sister came home when she had actually came home the previous day as usual or vise versa if that is possible but i was totally confused whenever it was that i woke up. and still i don’t know if it was a dream or awake. and i was not on drugs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00