Practical Advice How to call 1-800-273-8255, if you are an outsider?

johnDoen

Outsider in the Realm of Lost and Found
I'm from a country that has no suicidal hotline. I know I'm not safe to myself and others so there is a need to call someone, instead of self-harming and damaging the furniture like usual. Fuck, I'm bleeding here.
Anyways, do you know how to dial the number above (US's National Suicide Hotline), using something like VoIP (voice-over-internet protocol)?
I know every single hotline is at their limits by now, but I'm desperate and having a plan to end it all.

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
You don't have to call from outside the country. Every country has some kind of crisis line, trust me.
Have you tried either of these?

<name removed for your anonymity> offers 24-hour service to people in <your location> who are in distress, in crisis, or at risk of suicide.
Tel: 877-727-4747

And this one might be generic, I can't tell for sure ---

<your country> Emergency Hotline

<your location> Emergency Hotline offers 24-hour service to people in <your location> who are in distress, in crisis, or at risk of suicide.
Tel: 113

johnDoen

You don't have to call from outside the country. Every country has some kind of crisis line, trust me.
Have you tried either of these?

<name removed for your anonymity> offers 24-hour service to people in <your location> who are in distress, in crisis, or at risk of suicide.

And this one might be generic, I can't tell for sure ---

<your country> Emergency Hotline

<your location> Emergency Hotline offers 24-hour service to people in <your location> who are in distress, in crisis, or at risk of suicide.
Tel: 113
I can guarantee to you, there is no suicidal hotline in my country. Reality is cruel and there are always people have it worse.

877-727-4747 is Orange County (California, USA) crisis hotline. I know they have supports in my native language but I'm from a different country (nation).

On the other hand, 113 is a crisis hotline in my country. I guess you must have known where I'm from now. Unfortunately, it's a police service hotline, mostly for dealing with criminal activities (burglary, robbery, murder, etc.). People dialing this number do not ask for help for themselves but to prevent suicide attempts of others.

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
877-727-4747 is Orange County (California, USA) crisis hotline. I know they have supports in my native language but I'm from a different country (nation)
This number is listed as crisis for your country. Its not CA. I can pm you the name of the line of you want when I get back around to it again.

Inya

babaya gayolera
877-727-4747 is an American toll free crisis number and offers support in a few languages.

Toll free numbers usually can't be called from another country but you can try Skype. Their official site says that you CAN make free calls to US toll free numbers (877 is mentioned) from abroad without purchasing Skype credit. You have to add +1 US country code of course.

I hope this helps @johnDoen *hug10

johnDoen

This number is listed as crisis for your country. Its not CA. I can pm you the name of the line of you want when I get back around to it again.
Listed but is it real? With failure sessions of therapy and daily suicidal thoughts, it's just harder to trust everything I see and read.
877-727-4747 is an American toll free crisis number and offers support in a few languages.

Toll free numbers usually can't be called from another country but you can try Skype. Their official site says that you CAN make free calls to US toll free numbers (877 is mentioned) from abroad without purchasing Skype credit. You have to add +1 US country code of course.

I hope this helps*hug10
As long as the operation is quick and simple enough to motivate me to "get some help", instead of self-harming and damaging furniture. Thank you.

Nick

☆☆Admin-tastic ☆☆
SF Artist
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Hi @johnDoen

It looks like calling suicide hotlines is free on whatsap, the calling feature is not available in all counties so I don't know if this is helpful are not. As Inya mentioned Sykpe my also be an option. Many of these apps have made it free to call the suicide hotlines to make to more possible for people to access them.

This is a text based helpline that I really like. It's a little different, because you don't hear a voice, but you can access it from anywhere.

https://www.imalive.org/

johnDoen

Hi @johnDoen

It looks like calling suicide hotlines is free on whatsap, the calling feature is not available in all counties so I don't know if this is helpful are not. As Inya mentioned Sykpe my also be an option. Many of these apps have made it free to call the suicide hotlines to make to more possible for people to access them.

This is a text based helpline that I really like. It's a little different, because you don't hear a voice, but you can access it from anywhere.

https://www.imalive.org/
Somehow, whenever I check IMAlive, no chat service is available, as in no "link on the bottom of this screen" after 30 minutes or so. I also check for the external link to international lists of hotlines, since there is often nothing else to do while waiting. This is not good for me during emergency.

Thanks, anyways.

johnDoen

I think I might need a legit Skype ID or name of an operating hotline in order to contact them. I'm suspicious at the amount of profiles named "Suicide Hotline", one of them even named "Suicide Encouragement Hotline".

I will pay to see another therapist this time. It's my own health that I am responsible with. All I ask is a sparkle of hope.
As nobody needs to know, I stopped bleeding. It has been days since that.

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
Not sure if either of these would help...

Someone on Reddit had this hotline number - it's for kids but they'd probably know of somewhere for you.

Didi Hirsch Torture Crisis Line

Didi Hirsch Torture Crisis Line offers 24-hour service to people in Vietnam who are in distress, in crisis, or at risk of suicide.

Always Hopeless

Well, I'm desperate so ... I'm from Vietnam.
I see what you mean. I also could only find the Didi Hirsch Torture Crisis Line, 877-727-4747.

It's really disgraceful for your country not to have an official suicide hotline. I'm so sorry. I wish I could do more or be a 24/7 crisis line for people like yourself.

Perhaps you can buy a phone card for making international calls?

Here is the reddit post I think Sunspots is referring to

https://www.reddit.com/r/VietNam/comments/cubaco

Last edited:

johnDoen

Not sure if either of these would help...

Someone on Reddit had this hotline number - it's for kids but they'd probably know of somewhere for you.

Didi Hirsch Torture Crisis Line

Didi Hirsch Torture Crisis Line offers 24-hour service to people in Vietnam who are in distress, in crisis, or at risk of suicide.
I see what you mean. I also could only find the Didi Hirsch Torture Crisis Line, 877-727-4747.

It's really disgraceful for your country not to have an official suicide hotline. I'm so sorry. I wish I could do more or be a 24/7 crisis line for people like yourself.

Perhaps you can buy a phone card for making international calls?

Here is the reddit post I think Sunspots is referring to

https://www.reddit.com/r/VietNam/comments/cubaco
Thanks for the subreddit. The replies there are just as confused as I expected.

1800-1567 is the official crisis line for child protection, anti-bullying, reporting domestic violence against children, etc. They will not help me as I am an adult with nothing to report.

1900 lines (mentioned in the subreddit) are counseling services, quite costly to be honest, something more than $0.25 a minute. I'm not sure if they are effective in emergency. The last time I called one of these lines was when I was in high school dealing with a break up.

Unfortunately, Didi Hirsch is an American-based organization, so all of their listed crisis lines are American ones. I am struggling to call one of them as titled in this thread.

Thanks to all of you. I almost forgot I made this thread.

johnDoen

Vietnam has some very low cost acupuncture and traditional herbal medicine. I'd recommend checking that out if you have a chance.

I hope you'll be able to connect to a crisis line.
It seems I'll never have the answer I'm looking for. I give up. Post whatever you want here.

All I wanted is how to get someone to listen to me when I'm close to self-harm and suicide, not another medical professional who would likely to tell me to "man up" during questions. I'm not going to pay them for humiliation again, at least until I have all the plans and tactics on how to pick the right one.

This is all stupid when getting help for your mental health is a gamble.

It seems I'll never have the answer I'm looking for. I give up. Post whatever you want here.

All I wanted is how to get someone to listen to me when I'm close to self-harm and suicide, not another medical professional who would likely to tell me to "man up" during questions.
Sorry. I know you just wanted to connect to a suicide prevention hotline, but it seems like folks here tried to help with that without much success.

I really don't think they'd tell you to "man up" though, or really tell you much of anything. They'd probably just stick some needles in you and give you some herbs to make into tea.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00