How to not feel like life, and this living it, is pointless?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Shock, Oct 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shock

Shock Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Recently I have had a 'new' sort of depression. I say new because previously this never was the source of my depression, or at least I didnt think about it like that. I feel that life is pointless. Which, undeniably, it is. I feel that theres no point in living and because of that I feel theres no point getting up in the morning, or going to work or talking to people. I mean, what is the point? I don't enjoy any of those things.

I see how religion would fit in easily to fill this void - giving you and ultimate goal, ie: heaven. No wonder you hear religious people saying "God has a plan for you". I'm not religious though and I simply cannot bring my self to buy into it (no offence intended if you are).

I know one of the best ways to get over this feeling is to set yourself goals, but I now too see those goals as pointless.

Does anyone have any advice on how to through this existential, pointless feeling?

Thanks again!
  2. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

Hello! I want to tell you that life can be so much more for you than what it is now. I know, I used to be just like you, and I have found the answer. please refer to my recent post. Peace.
  3. Lonely83

Lonely83 Active Member

i can relate how you feel, I can only offer hugs and you are not alone!! :hugtackles::hugtackles::hugtackles:
  4. Wispiwill

Wispiwill Well-Known Member

I wish I knew but maybe it helps to know that you're not the only one that feels like this. Personally I try to keep myself busy so that I don't have time to think. It helps me sometimes - but not always.

I hope you find something that helps you.
  5. petn

petn Member

No, but i'm researching into that. I'll let you know in a couple of decades...
  6. J58

J58 Member

I do not know what the long term solution is, but I'm rather dismayed that there are no short-term solutions. The pharmaceutical industry as spent billions on research for short term relief to headaches, stomach aches, arthritis, inflamation, cramps, digestive issues, rashes, itches, etc. However, there is nothing out there (illegal substances aside) specifically for dealing with depression in the near term. Everything in the vein of antidepressants requires many weeks to see its effect, and then it's subtle. Often, there is no definitive resolution.

I'm hypothesizing that there is simply no real money in persuing development of such drugs or additives. And then society wonders why people turn to illegal drugs and alcohol. No surprise.
  7. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

No offence taken Shock, because from my perspective I know that God gives people the choice of which lens they choose to see life through. You have chosen a "not buying into religion" lens - ........

however, your "inward parts" (the place inside you that determines your motivation and your thinking/feeling faculties) MIGHT be throwing up some symptoms which could be viewed as an opportunity to make some discoveries.

I do understand that the word "religion" is a turn-off for many, but I also understand the deeper reasons why this could be the case.

Always willing to talk - and if so, I promise there will be no "arm-twisting" - because God does not operate that way, even if "religious" people have come to earn a bad reputation for it :) (Lord, have mercy....:)
  8. Calvin_xc1

Calvin_xc1 Member

I don't think religion is the only piece that can fit that particular puzzle. I think the missing piece is about values, which religion has in abundance but isn't exclusively tied to religion. Myself, for example, I don't ascribe to any religion, I fit in the 'spiritual but not religious' crowd. Let me explain what I mean by value though. I'm not necessarily referring to the concept of wealth, or defined objective value. Nor am I necessarily referring to a moral code of conduct. Value, here, I'm referring to value more in how we, individually, feel/believe/think/understand things to be valuable. It's related, but not identical, to the other two concepts of value I mentioned.

First, let me give you a bit of philosophical primer: Go watch it, then keep reading.

It's hard not to feel connected to everything, knowing that I'm made from the same stuff as everything else. For me, that connection is valuable. Being that I'm made of the same thing as everyone else gives me a relateability and innate understanding to others. It also gives me the power to change things, for good or ill (that's my choice). If nothing else, I see value in having that connection, and through that, the power to change things.

It's a big universe, and we're all a part of it. Does that matter? I'd like to think so.

Just another way of looking at it.
  9. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

The pharmaceutical industry IS spending a lot of time and money trying to develop medications effect to pursue relieving depression. Just turn on your TV (in American, at least) and every other commercial shown is for some form of anti-depressant drug or another. The problem being faced is that the brain is still such a mystery to medical science, and also what works for some people does not work for others. In either situation, medications are not a solution in many cases. For instance, while we do have medications to relieve headaches, if someone continues to have headaches then they need to pursue finding out what the actual cause is. Just taking a pill is not always a solution as it relieves the symptoms but does not eliminate the root cause and bring about a cure. Illegal drugs and alcohol are not wise choices since they are not solutions to the root issue, they are only "mind altering." Add to that the fact that alcohol, as well as some illegal drugs, are depressants in themselves and so they're not really helping, they are only making things in the long run worse.
  10. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

I firmly believe that the only way to find life to not be pointless is to set goals. Why would goals be pointless? Perhaps you are not finding and setting the right goals for you, or you are setting goals that are not attainable. Goals may relate to career, they may relate to family, they may even simply be hobby oriented. I, for instance, collect various things and I take pleasure out of seeking those things out, and once obtained, enjoying and treasuring them. Goals don't have to be materialistic either. Some people have fitness goals. Others spend great amounts of time giving back to their community via volunteering. There are a million choices, but the choices do of course have to be your own. What one person sets as a goal, be it career, or hobby, or ???, may not be something the next guy would find challenging or pleasurable.
  11. J58

J58 Member

I agree with your assessments, but I believe that the products put out by the pharmaceutical industry and currently advertised on TV are NOT intended for short term relief of acute symptoms. Every doctor will tell you that all of these products, dependent on the patient, take quite a bit of time to balance out with brain chemistry, and only then can the effects be judged properly. In your example of headache relief medication, yes, a persistent heachache should lead a patient to ultimately see a doctor. But that's my point - there IS medication intended to relieve the headache in a relatively short period of time. And even the commercials for these medications stress that they are not repairing any underlying, root causes. Neither would a short-term psycologically-effected relief medication. My belief is that, by design, there are no equivalents out there. I agree that there are rare instances where some patients receive immediate relief when starting an anti-depressant or similar, but I believe they are rare, and not the norm. Again, the medical community will state that these mood/ brain-chemistry altering medicines are not intended to act quickly. Often, in a severe or critical situation, I believe that is what is needed. As someone who deals with this on a regular basis, the long term effects of a combination of anti-depressants aren't very helpful in an immediate, accute situation.

I think that having a short-term drug that would help people "step back from the edge", so to speak, would be helpful as long as the patient followed up with long term care.

Thank you for sharing.
  12. Ldub20

Ldub20 Well-Known Member

Life is pointless. Just complete BS.
  13. Shock

Shock Well-Known Member

I really do agree! In past I had loads of goals - Ive built furniture from scratch, restored old push bikes tried my hand at art, etc. But for some reason I just cannot bring myself to do it anymore. I remember one of the greatest things I learnt from doing those projects was to be patient and to take the time to concentrate - I think thats what I am now lacking. I think the depression I have has affected my physical ability to concentrate and have energy to perform these tasks. Its weird - it seems to be sapping my cognitive reserves! haha. Still, maybe baby steps...
  14. Percarus

Percarus Account Closed

I find keeping a detailed diary of your life, each and every day, and typing down your life in accurate meticulous detail as best as you can over time may give you a feeling of satisfaction and pave way for eudaimonia. It will let you better understand who you are, what you are here for, and it can become extremelly useful in reflecting to periods of your life and for information of old. You then may set a goal of making your diary interesting by indulging in new exciting things each and every day to spice up your stories, sort of become a 'yes man' by all accounts. It is never too late and with a pride within your own life comes a new beginning and new hope.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.