How to properly deal with anger

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Witty_Sarcasm, Jan 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I am an adult, but sometimes I feel that I still have the emotional reasoning of a teenager or maybe even a child. When people keep picking on me about things, or yell or just keep saying bad things about me, I tend to get angry back at them. It doesn't really help to yell back, all it really does is make my heart race and tend to stress me out even more. I can also end up saying things I later regret in the heat of the moment. I usually vent here, but that has become a problem recently as I really have been saying more than I need to. So how do you deal with emotions that seem all encompassing and too hard to deal with at times?
  2. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi, interesting question. i just simply assess the situation and count to ten. Simple action and just be happy. As you have one life, I think you simply live each day as its your last day.
  3. Viktor

Viktor Well-Known Member

Be happy that you are just angry and not depressed. Every feeling is better than depression. I think this didn't help you much, but how about this? When people are picking on you, yelling on you and saying bad things about you, then it should be them who should come here and ask "how to control myself to not being asshole to other people?" rather then you coming here and asking how to not get angry about things that people are normally and naturally getting angry about. Hmm, that's something to think about i think.
  4. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Well, I am depressed too. I am either angry or depressed. I don't want to feel that way, but I know there are ways to numb my feelings, so I can try that.
  5. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Read my signature. Pretty much sums what I go by when getting angry.

Looking at reasons why you got angry and step back later when youre cooled off and review what triggered you and figure out what other responses /reactions can make a better situation in future.

I just know it took me years of working with clients with cognitive and behavioral disabilities to learn how to be calmer and I was a hotheaded person. . . It wont happen overnight. Itll take alot of practice before habit is undone.
  6. scaryforest

scaryforest Banned Member

to add
    hearing but not actually listening.
    like when you zone out and it looks to the other person you re listening but actually you re daydreaming bout better things
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.