• Please read the thread in Forum News and Announcements pertaining to race related discussion on SF - thank you :)

How to Study when your mind is a pit?

I try to study every day. I am in a very intense course in college. I am taking math, physics, chemistry and English. This course required me to buckle down and study my heart away yet I stay in my room, wasting away hours and hours. These hours go towards my mind wondering in every direction, some suicide, some the future, some to video games, some to my girlfriend. Anything except studying. This has caused me to fail my math course with a 44, first class I've ever failed in my life. As of now I have a physics final tomorrow, however, I know I will pass as I only need a 29 on the final to pass the class with a 60.
I have a feeling this method of studying is going to ultimately set me up for failure in life. I need a change and I have all the resources to achieve greatness, yet my mind is a roadblock to success. I have achieved in the past, great grades, now that I'm older all of that has went to the drain. I now struggle to go to bed, the only comforting thought that makes me fall asleep is that one day I might end it all. I know this isn't a healthy way to function, always craving the end of the road. I want to look forward to things in life but the only thing I can look forward to is dying. Do you guys have any suggestions? Any help is greatly appreciated.

afterlifepig

stimulants can make you robotic but this can actually help with getting the motivation to study. instead of changing your personality chemically, you could try to develop discipline but i know that's hard. i got through calculus with an A and other hard math courses just because i was very into the subject and i had discipline. but now stimulants (i also listen to music) are easier. for me, this just means taking caffeine pills but ADD pills probably work better. taking heavy stimulants (apart from caffeine) is a really big life decision, and you don't seem like you have ADD or anything just judging from the fact that you used to do well in school. the caf. pills prevent me from having allergies, so i really don't want to quit using them ... but anyway stimulants can be addictive. like i said, you could "cheat" with ADD stimulants but it's kind of like taking steroids. but maybe you do have ADD or something? just my point is, chemicals can help, but so could changing your priorities and life routine.

stimulants can make you robotic but this can actually help with getting the motivation to study. instead of changing your personality chemically, you could try to develop discipline but i know that's hard. i got through calculus with an A and other hard math courses just because i was very into the subject and i had discipline. but now stimulants (i also listen to music) are easier. for me, this just means taking caffeine pills but ADD pills probably work better. taking heavy stimulants (apart from caffeine) is a really big life decision, and you don't seem like you have ADD or anything just judging from the fact that you used to do well in school. the caf. pills prevent me from having allergies, so i really don't want to quit using them ... but anyway stimulants can be addictive. like i said, you could "cheat" with ADD stimulants but it's kind of like taking steroids. but maybe you do have ADD or something? just my point is, chemicals can help, but so could changing your priorities and life routine.
Do you know how I would go about getting ADD pills? What I would say to my doctor?

Can you speak to a counselor in the program? Most colleges/universities have onsite counselors for exactly this reason.
I could but my main issue is that I can't really talk about it in person. Way too afraid of the judgement and would rather try to solve on my own, (and the help of SF).

Innocent Forever

Still innocent!
SF Supporter
I could but my main issue is that I can't really talk about it in person. Way too afraid of the judgement and would rather try to solve on my own, (and the help of SF).
You could look up study tips
Personally being accountable for studying helped me (telling someone I'd check in with them after half an hour when had worked for 20 minutes, or when I'd written an intro or studied a page.
And think about getting help in person. It is always easier for someone in real life to guide you but yeah, I get why you wouldn't want to :)
'night.

unlucky me

I get how you feel noah.its really hard to study when you don't feel like and that feeling never goes away.i myself am suicidal and also i got depression. Even though i recently found a new hope but till i get there, i have to go on in this situation and it's hard.im in university too and its almost impossible to do university works but i do cause i have to.i don't have the spirit or the motivation even though i like major bc of depression.and no one in my real life knows that.but i try to do uni works and just pass the semester cause i got new hope! Maybe you don't like what you're studying? Some people study the major cause they like or its money in it.
Maybe seeing someone might help.sometimes doctors(therapists or others) prescrip some pills which i heard,helps.i myself am considering it too.i tried mental stuff and didn't help alot so maybe I'll see if i could go to dr.
For now im just pushing myself to do university things cause i know failure isnt option for me. Even with that, its still hard to get the things done. I tried to make myself feel better then do other stuff but sthg with my depression is i don't feel better at all.
Finding sthg in life might help.find the WHY? why are you studing and that might help.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$115.00
Goal
$255.00