How to...

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by lifeless84, Apr 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lifeless84

lifeless84 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know, how can i solve problems with my lack of memory and concentration? (caused by depression and anxiety, most likely) I can't focus on anything, I can't remember anything. To change my life, I need to study sth, to learn sth, but as soon as I start reading, I am getting very tired and asleep. Can't remember one thing from what i read. And it doesn't make me feel any better. Is it even curable?? Is it possible to return to the state from before this shit (like 10 to 12 years back). I am only 30, but my mind is like it was about 90. And if I don't change my job and environment soon, it won't end up well. But to do it, i need to fix this stupid brain. ASAP Feel like I am doomed to fail, again :frusty:
  2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

While there are a lot of concentration exercises you can find on internet, most say rest and physical exercise are the most important. If it is interfering that much may want to talk to psyche about meds - adult adhd medications are available if they thought you fit the criteria and it might help.
  3. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

Hi lifeless84 - May I suggest that the root of this problem lies a bit deeper down, in that how you presently think about yourself is as you describe - and if you took control of your self-talk about your identity - the real self that you knew 10 years ago will resurface. You might feel like you're back-tracking, but it will be temporary while you learn new thinking skills. So instead of coming at something which needs concentration with the fear that "I won't be able to do this", you make a conscious effort to speak different words to yourself which are more in line with your real self.

Doing this will seem strange at first, but I promise you, it will work. Everything in life hinges on what we tell ourselves about it, and this opportunity is no exception. You do know, and are aware, that it's not going to change without some work - but the work need not be an arduous mountain if you are prepared to take the first steps in this new direction. :)

So for instance, if you are faced with a page of text, come at it by telling yourself: "I am able to read this text, even if it takes me half an hour, I can do it, and then I can go back and extract the things I need from it"..... etc. bearing in mind that the goal is to recover a self-identity that you know is underneath. :)
  4. lifeless84

lifeless84 Well-Known Member

resting might be a problem, as it doesn't matter how long I sleep, 6 hours, 8 hours, 10 hours, I always get up tired and exhausted. Assume it has something to do with my allergy (read: breathing problems), my brain might not get enough of oxygen.
    About exercises, I once read, the best one is learning a foreign language. Since I've always wanted to improve my English, decided to give it a try. However, after about a month and a half I gave up, as it was very frustrating, since I could barley memorize any word
    Are there any meds I could buy without visiting docs?

I'd say, myself image is more a result of my whole being, than a reason of all problems. Ever since I can remember, I have failed at everything I did. Everything, except one. I somehow managed to finish studies. Though, I should have failed at it too. Maybe it would be better. Tell me, taking it into account, how am I suppose to tell myself I would manage at sth, with such a history of my life
  5. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

OK, well, as you've asked, it all hinges on 'CONCEPTS'. I had a mammoth fail 18 years ago which threatened to end my life by suicide. I was saved, and then knew it was (largely) up to me to find a way to think differently. As you know, this ain't as easy at it seems on paper. There was a mentor who helped me understand a few CONCEPTS I had been lacking - including how to deal with massive fails. Another concept is that the only person who can really monitor what you're telling yourself is YOU (unless you have a very empathic psychotherapist).

At the moment then, I understand that you've an image of yourself (a self-identity) which believes that your whole being is defective, and that is the reason for your failing.

Regardless of our past life experience, we can actually, and physically, lay down new pathways in our brains, by finding deeper (and higher) truth that we can feed off and from, rather than the negativity which seeks to pull us down. It would be worth getting a doctor's opinion on your physical state of health so you can eliminate any physical cause for your concentration lack. Psychologically, we medicate our minds into new ways of thinking by searching for insights that resonate more positively with us, rather than agreeing with 'the other version'.

For example "No mistake is a failure, unless I fail to learn from it."

"I am not a failure....... I had some ideas that failed me, but I am not a failure."

Just try it for ONE DAY - even if you doubt it will do any good at all - every time you recognise a thought that is negative, search around for a positive one to replace it with. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.