• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

I don't know what to say to this psychologist.

UrbanRose

Well-Known Member
#1
In 3 hours, I go to see this psychologist for the second time. He saw me 5 weeks ago. I did pretty good for a while, after seeing him. But that didn't last. I'm very depressed now. He'll probably think I haven't tried hard enough.

Seeing a psychologist once every 5 weeks doesn't seem like serious treatment. I don't think he believed I have a serious problem. I don't have much hope right now.
I wonder what I should say to him today. Will it even matter.
 

MisterBGone

~\_✅`,')
SF Supporter
#3
In 3 hours, I go to see this psychologist for the second time. He saw me 5 weeks ago. I did pretty good for a while, after seeing him. But that didn't last. I'm very depressed now. He'll probably think I haven't tried hard enough.

Seeing a psychologist once every 5 weeks doesn't seem like serious treatment. I don't think he believed I have a serious problem. I don't have much hope right now.
I wonder what I should say to him today. Will it even matter.
You could start by asking him why it is that he has determined this length of time for you in between sessions, if you'd like. Might be interesting to hear his response... No, I don't think those reasons of inadequacy or not being ill/bad/sick enough, are going to be what he's thinking. And also, I'd seriously doubt that he would look at it like that: that you haven't been trying hard enough, or have somehow only provided a poor effort. Believe me, they're used to seeing all kinds of patients, and levels of functioning, or capabilities of being able to even sometimes actually make it into their office for their visit in order to see them. All you can try to do then, is to explain to him, in as articulate a manner or way as you can (precise? or with precision?) why it is that you have this problem, and more over in fact, just what the reasons are for it being so significant, or serious ~ so you should have only profound hope, in my eyes! Try not to think too negatively, if you can--very hard to do *and may be part of the reason you're going in the first place! : ) Just try to relax. And talk to, or with him calmly & naturally. And then just let flow or what comes out, just hopefully be good enough for his reasoning & understanding to grasp & to see through to the heart or the core, of some of your more deeper difficulties & struggles in life. The reasons why you're there in the first place, in other words. . . Good luck! I'm sure it'll go great.
 

UrbanRose

Well-Known Member
#4
Hi Rose, sorry, but seeing a psychologist once every 5 weeks is simply not enough. That it helps you is a good sign - but this should be more often (or other activities - like group meetings etc.). Can you? Seems just fair to me.
I'll see what he says today. I expect he'll blame me for not trying harder.

I keep hearing how there is help available, if you just ask. When I ask, I don't think anyone believes that I have a serious problem. Years ago I went to the psych department of where I get healthcare. They have their own building with inpatient and outpatient services. They said, "What is it you think we can do for you?" It sounded to me like "Please go away."

Just having someone take an interest would mean a lot. I expect to get brushed off.
 

MisterBGone

~\_✅`,')
SF Supporter
#5
I'll see what he says today. I expect he'll blame me for not trying harder.

I keep hearing how there is help available, if you just ask. When I ask, I don't think anyone believes that I have a serious problem. Years ago I went to the psych department of where I get healthcare. They have their own building with inpatient and outpatient services. They said, "What is it you think we can do for you?" It sounded to me like "Please go away."

Just having someone take an interest would mean a lot. I expect to get brushed off.
Yes, that's one possibility & interpretation. Another is that they were just trying to cut to the chase, and figure out how or where & why, they'd best be able to assist you (with what treatment)? However - you were there & I was not. So, I'll trust your read & take on the matter, then. And can only hope you have better and more successful experiences with what lie ahead @UrbanRose ~
 

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
#7
I expect he'll blame me for not trying harder.
Therapists/psych folks don't take these things personally. They understand that depression is a largely chemical function that you don't have much control over. You can make no efforts towards feeling better, sure, by staying inside your dark bedroom all day and not eating right or sleeping all day etc but you can't 'will yourself into feeling better' or anything and they know that.

How was your appointment after all? Did you mention that you'd like to go in more often?
 

UrbanRose

Well-Known Member
#8
It went pretty well. I go see the psychologist again in the morning.

Thanks for the replies above. Sorry I'm so late getting back here. Things got very busy in my life.

I did climb up out of the depression pit. Lately, I've been doing much better. I hope I can keep this improvement going for a while.
 

UrbanRose

Well-Known Member
#9
My life got busy making final arrangements for my brother. Police found him in a cheap motel room, dead of a drug overdose (meth.) While, I was making arrangements, I was focused on that. Since finishing those today, I have sobbed and sobbed. I looked at some photos of him when he was young and healthy. I want to go back to those days. Too late. He's gone.

I have a headache from crying. I want my brother back.
 

MisterBGone

~\_✅`,')
SF Supporter
#10
My life got busy making final arrangements for my brother. Police found him in a cheap motel room, dead of a drug overdose (meth.) While, I was making arrangements, I was focused on that. Since finishing those today, I have sobbed and sobbed. I looked at some photos of him when he was young and healthy. I want to go back to those days. Too late. He's gone.

I have a headache from crying. I want my brother back.
I'm so sorry. I'm just so very sorry for you, @UrbanRose ...
 

UrbanRose

Well-Known Member
#11
My life got busy making final arrangements for my brother. Police found him in a cheap motel room, dead of a drug overdose (meth.) While, I was making arrangements, I was focused on that. Since finishing those today, I have sobbed and sobbed. I looked at some photos of him when he was young and healthy. I want to go back to those days. Too late. He's gone.

I have a headache from crying. I want my brother back. He's gone for good. He never recognized how much I loved him. I wish I could fall asleep and not wake up.
 

MisterBGone

~\_✅`,')
SF Supporter
#13
My life got busy making final arrangements for my brother. Police found him in a cheap motel room, dead of a drug overdose (meth.) While, I was making arrangements, I was focused on that. Since finishing those today, I have sobbed and sobbed. I looked at some photos of him when he was young and healthy. I want to go back to those days. Too late. He's gone.

I have a headache from crying. I want my brother back. He's gone for good. He never recognized how much I loved him. I wish I could fall asleep and not wake up.
I understand. . .
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$255.00
Top