I Don't Want To Be Human

This rant is going to be a bit out of left field, but I'm hoping some of you will understand. One of my sources for suicidal thought is just the fact that I'm human, and I don't want to be. What do I mean?

What I mean is to a certain extent, humans are animals who do animal behavior, and I don't like feeling like an animal. I hate human nature, because to a degree human nature is animal nature. I want to evolve to something better if I could, if that makes sense to anyone. I guess if an intelligent, loving alien race invited me to go live with them who doesn't need to do what humans do because they have evolved from it, than I would. But it can't exist here, and I would still die as a human from old age anyway even if I did. In terms of suicide, I'm looking forward to when the body dies because I won't be physically chained to it anymore, make sense? I mean, I like the good things about having a body like being able to hug someone, but I don't appreciate any of the bad that comes with it.

Ok, like I said I know this thought might just be my weird self, but just wanted to see what you think.

BarryW

SF Supporter
I've wanted to not be human many times, and we are not alone in this. Just look at music or poetry and you quickly see people who want to be a bird, a tree, a rock, a bug, anything else, but not human.

The human body has a lot of needs or wants that are not in line with what I want to do with my life. I get annoyed at it a lot. It seems ridiculous to have to eat multiple times every single day, go to the bathroom 14 times a day or whatever your number is, and so on. Big problems happen if you don't listen to these needs quickly, which means not only is this time taken away from me with these mundane activities, but I also have to interrupt whatever I am doing for this nonsense.

I have heard about certain kinds of cacti, spiders, camels, etc. that can eat or drink once every couple months or even years apart. Wouldn't THAT be convenient.

Dante

Git
SF Pro
SF Supporter
Personally I think calling Human behaviour animalistic is mean to animals. I do see what you mean by calling human behaviour like animal behaviour, but I think humans take it further. Its more selfish, more deluded, and most of all, more cruel. Being able to rise above your own base feelings and kneejerk reactions, above anger and cruelty is a better way to be, and in my view a minimum standard, but its so sad its so rare.

If this is what you mean I think I get you entirely, the last time I had the thought "I wish I didn't have to live among these people, I wish I could say I wasn't like them too" was about an hour ago. I see about 5-10% of people as sane and the rest as unpredictable, hypocritical lunatics. The best I have figured is to seek out the sane ones, the good hearted and make my own tiny community of calm among the nutcases.

Fbr27

So much for despersonalizing.

I think that behind this feeling it exists some sort of alienation and the feeling that the world doesn't care for you.

But in the end, we make our own reality, bad or good. No one will really tell how your life is gonna be, and few people care anyway.

There are bad things in life in some way, but in the end those things just....happen?

We can't say we are special because something bad happens to us, because it just happens.

What matters is how we react, and that is the hardest thing.

What I mean is to a certain extent, humans are animals who do animal behavior, and I don't like feeling like an animal. I hate human nature, because to a degree human nature is animal nature. I want to evolve to something better if I could, if that makes sense to anyone.
There are monastic religious communities that try to overcome sexual desire, negative emotions, attachment to the ego, greed, etc.

I'm not sure that diving into that would be something you'd like, but it's certainly out there.

Yes, I like all your responses and I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way.

I agree Dante, that many humans take things further in a negative way and it's hard to find other's who are sane and good hearted to share life with. And how we react does matter and for me involves huge amounts of self control if possible, though I don't think it always is in every situation.

There are monastic religious communities that try to overcome sexual desire, negative emotions, attachment to the ego, greed, etc
Yes that is something I should maybe consider. I just don't like the idea of praying to or following a specific deity, but if there's something that doesn't do that it would probably be good for me.

I feel like my human nature or animalist, reptile 'fight or flight' side of my brain is at constant war with the logical part of my brain that wants to evolve to something more, and I hate that. Knowing that I'm always going to be attached to it even suppressing it as much as I can. Some of it changes naturally with age, which is not so bad.

Again, I know this thought is probably out there a bit. I like to have a slight belief that maybe when I die in some way it will become reality that I can truly grow and become whatever I want to be. Whatever we all want to be

seabird

meandering home
SF Supporter
@I Love Tomorrow - I think you were saying you have a desire &/or need to evolve completely past a certain set of human characteristics, rather than deny them?

I like to think about that as it is implying many positive outcomes for a planet's worth of living creatures, rather than the dark ones which frighten, injure and traumatize us now.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$100.00
Goal
$255.00