I feel as if I've said something wrong, is there some kind of medication for this?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by lachrymose27, Sep 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lachrymose27

lachrymose27 Well-Known Member

I constantly feel as if I've said something wrong... and so I would just curse randomly at myself.. is there some kind of meds for this? I feel really terrible because I paint this impression of me and im not even 100% sure if I'm accurate in the depiction of myself... the thoughts are killing me

2. ace

ace Well-Known Member

Re: I feel as if I've said something wrong, is there some kind of medication for this

I'm not to sure exactly it would be good to see if there is something a diagnosis,I'm quite sure there is.I don't think it's you at all most likely something contributing to it.Exactly how does it happen?if you want you can ask me privately if you feel more comfortable like that.

3. lachrymose27

Re: I feel as if I've said something wrong, is there some kind of medication for this

its most definitely an issue (maybe some form of anxiety?) affecting me.
    to better explain, after important occasions (like in interviews) I keep (and constantly) thinking about how idiotic my comments were during the interviews.. I keep thinking i should of said this and that and felt really embarrassed and stupid about it (especially when I have trouble finding the right words to formulate my sentences and so I'd use the words available to me at that moment in time to kind of formulate whatever it is i wanted to say but instead it would come across as something different, e.g. rude as oppose to nice-because the words were wrongly chosen) and thats when I curse myself (after the interviews of course) where I can't stop thinking about how stupid I was to say this and that. sometimes when thinking about why i'm such an idiot with conversations that i'd sometimes condemn myself with a curse word, there was this one time i said it a little too loud so a friend and a co-worker heard me and said "huh?" and i'd say "nothing," and make up some excuse for my weirdness behavior..

i'm not sure whether it is a personality disorder or anxiety, but they are very mild, but still it's destroying me to constantly have these negative thoughts

4. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

I do the same thing....go over and over everything I've said day in day out...stress that I've said the wrong thing and upset someone and made enemies and looked stupid...
    I don't know what to do about it either...

5. lachrymose27

exactly. its really driving me nuts. i'm trying to cope with this by playing video games and watching movies and basically anything to try to keep my mind off the subject, but its a really bad way of coping..

6. fallingangie

fallingangie Well-Known Member

I had this problem before, it happens due to anxiety which eventually contributes further to inefficient communication skills. I would freak out and worry about what i said to other people all day and night, and sometimes even cry about it..weird i knw :(

But now its gone. I guess i dont stress too much these days and I gained more confidence in myself...i realized that its all in my thoughts..nothing I say to other people is wrong in any way. Every time i speak now, I make sure i know what i m saying..sometimes i rehearse it from before.

7. sea change

sea change Member

Tonight, I can't sleep due to this problem. I replay situations in my head, dialog, interactions, wondering if I "did it right" or re-living what I think I "did wrong!" It's just mortifying at times.

fallingangie also brings up a good point that it can lead to even worse communication skills because you'll be too afraid to open up! sometimes this thought in itself can worsen my anxiety.

I try to keep telling myself, though, that everyone makes mistakes and practice makes perfect. I know those are cliche, but repetition can sometimes help combat the negative self-talk on a small scale. Honestly--something that helps me a lot is writing a true phrase on my wrist where I'll see it and in Sharpie so it won't wash off easily. Then, I'm more able to see how baseless a lot of my worry was/is. It's always a case of one step forward, two back, though. Unfortunately, a lot of people aren't around for the comeback.

:boogie:

8. Tstan

Tstan New Member

I totally feel you on this one I will even go so far as to ask my husband after we leave somewhere if I sounded stupid. It helps to hear it is part of my anxiety and can hopefully be treated:stars: I try real hard to just not worry about what other people think but it just eats away at me. You are not alone!!
    Hopefully these answers will help you find what works for you to deal with anxiety.

9. flowers

flowers Senior Member

I suffer deeply with this issue. At the root, for me, is extreme self loathing. So it can get triggered very easily. I do not know of a medication for it. Because its about how my mind is caught up in a pattern of self loathing. It makes life like a minefield. Because I have no defenses. As my friend said, "hurting you is like taking candy from a baby". Its true. This is why I am agoraphobic. Too unsafe to be out in the world. Also, I cannot absorb any affirmations. They are like a different language. My mind says " does not compute, Does not compute" Its very sad. Because it makes the world full of so many triggers that it just is not safe living. hopefully this is not tmi

10. lachrymose27

yeah... it is all in the head.. i try to be more positive to kind of boost my own confidence but its always in a constant battle against the negative, anyway, ill try harder, i hope everyone else who has this problem does too..

11. perry_mason

perry_mason Well-Known Member

icould ebe wrong but i think thats like paranoia.

im like the same way, i always felt that i said something wrong to peple and messed up somehow.

i dont think there is any medication for it thoi, i wish there was coz i would try it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.