• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

Empathy Only I feel like such a loser.

From_Venus

Well-Known Member
#1
Hi all,

I'm in my second-to-last week of basic military training, and today we were all meant to get our heads shaved for the final time. There were three head shaves in total - once at the start, once at the halfway mark and once at the end. Short haircuts have always terrified and depressed me, to the point of feeling suicial. It felt awful shaving my head for the first time, and I couldn't go through with it the second time, I made a special request to keep my hair and thankfully it was granted. The third head shave is probably the most important of them all because we have a graduation parade next week. I couldn't bear to shave my head again and my platoon commanders advised me to get a memo from my psychiatrist about it, which I did. At this point, I'm the only one in the entire company without a buzzcut and it has attracted quite a bit of attention. My commanders have had to explain my condition to others, including the officer in charge of the parade, and I feel so embarrassed about the whole ordeal. I've caused a lot of trouble for so many people and I feel especially bad for making my commanders go through the additional trouble considering that they are just conscripts too. I don't know anyone else in the entire world who gets so hung up about their hair and I feel like an utter loser and freak. Our Sergeant-Major gets the final say about whether or not I can keep my hair and I'm so scared that he'll say that I can't.

I wish I could just drop dead so that I wouldn't have to burden anyone anymore, including myself. I hate being such a freak. I hate being unable to enjoy anything anymore. I can barely even eat anymore. I feel so, so lonely and every day I'm stuck in the military, as kind & wonderful as my platoonmates and commanders have been, makes me feel trapped. I feel like my own mind and body are a prison. Day in and day out, it's just a bad dream and I want it to stop :(
 
#2
I'm sorry this has been so difficult. You're not a fault for caring about your hair, it's just that the military is oriented towards turning humans into standardized, interchangeable parts. It's not your fault for being human and not a machine.

How much longer are you required to be in the military?

Sending safe hugs
 

From_Venus

Well-Known Member
#3
I'm sorry this has been so difficult. You're not a fault for caring about your hair, it's just that the military is oriented towards turning humans into standardized, interchangeable parts. It's not your fault for being human and not a machine.

How much longer are you required to be in the military?

Sending safe hugs
Thanks so much for the kind words :3

Sadly, I have another 670 days before my conscription ends :(

It is possible to get exempted on the grounds of severe psychological issues, but I'm trying to press on for now. If I can get excused from having to keep my hair super short, I'd be comfortable continuing my service. Thankfully, I'm just an admin assistant and not in a combat role, I wouldn't have survived that training lol.
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$255.00
Top