I find it very interesting...

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by ArgumentGuy, Nov 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArgumentGuy

ArgumentGuy Active Member

So, I was looking around the other day for a free (or cost-effective, at least) therapy or counseling service for people with depression.

Long story short, I couldn't find any. But I did find a lot of places offering free help for people suffering from substance abuse, or alcohol abuse, or eating disorders, or other mental disorders. These places will get you clean, get you help, and counseling, and therapy and anything you need to get you healthy, and a lot of these places are volunteer-based or just plain free.

But why, I wonder, are there no places for people with depression?

Now, I know that there are places to go to if you are actively suicidal, but that's really a short-term solution. Without some sort of long-term, regular help, the suicidal tendencies will eventually relapse. (At least, they have for me.) And depression can be just as harmful and devastating as alcoholism.

I find it interesting and a little disturbing that, unless you have money, the world tends to put people with depression out on their own to fend for themselves.
  2. in heaven

in heaven Well-Known Member

no money no help. hardly any doctors or psychiatrist go into the field to help people as their main objective. they may say so to sound noble but really they go into the field because it pays well and respected, that's the first reason and secondly only to help people if they can. If it's religious group based help, you know they're doing it cause they believe doing that will get their own asses into heaven. it's just how the world works, truth is it's not pretty and it's not disney, if you have nothing then you have nothing. no one care unless you have something. online forums are for free but they don't really help cause everyone says they care and send you a hug smileys but that's the end of it, the problem is still there unsolved. free to vent all you want though and get responses though most will be some cliché responses you probably heard before that doesn't help. really just need to find something to hold on to and climb however painfully or slowly back out of this abyss.
  3. cloudy

cloudy Well-Known Member

there is a group session where i live for depressed folks. i have been to those classes. i think its not only money as a factor but location as to where you live.
  4. Wispiwill

Wispiwill Well-Known Member

I think that people, in general, can deal with substance abuse more easily than depression. All they have to do is get the person off the substance - most of the time I don't think they deal with the cause of the abuse. With depression - what can they do? They don't understand what it's like unless they've been there and so don't know how to deal with it - what to say or do. Does that make sense?

The thing to remember is that, generally speaking, people tend to try to control what they can't understand and destroy what they can't control. I guess we should be grateful we're not yet in that last category (or then again...)
  5. Michael_Person

Michael_Person New Member

Well, as a medical student, I do have to disagree that all doctors do it just for money or prestige. Certainly not money; if you were willing to invest an equivalent amount of time (and money; school isn't cheap) trying to get into medical school into almost any other career, you'd be paid much more.

The simple reason is there's a lot of myths about depression. Its not well understood by other people, and most people don't know how to deal with it. Everyone gets "depressed" so what's the deal with "depressed people?"

As Wispiwill pointed out, its not as easily imagined as substance abuse. If you're addicted to a substance, you are. Its hard to deny the cravings or the side effects, or the withdrawal. But depression seems to a lot of people like a label, so they're suspicious.

In my experience, you sort of pick out people yourself. I'm sorry if this isn't easily digestible or readily useful advice, but seeing your life in a palette of gray does tend to colour your personality somewhat, and its a learned skill to see it in others. You find a friend or two, and you keep them for life.

Don't give up hope on finding them. They may be here on this board.
  6. MisterBGone

I think that one of the primary problems is that most people think they know what it's like to be depressed, and so they feel that we have a whole lot more control over the depression than we do. It is a disease of the brain, which, much like the heart, is an organ. Yet we never hear anybody complaining over their growing impatience with somebody's heart disease. There's another thing: depression is pretty far down on the totem-pole of concerns. Period. Nobody cares about your sadness. Not enough to whole-heartedly help you, anyway... Heck, half of them are glad you've got it!
  7. pancake111

pancake111 Well-Known Member

I've never thought about that before but you're absolutely right! The thing with depression that is different ffrom alcholism and what not is we aren't addicted to a substance or any sort of physical thing. It's invisible for the most part. I think there should be a free clinic of some sort for depression, but it wouldn't be able to accomplish much because depression requires long term committment. The same can be said for drugs, but depression is different for some reason I can't really explain. But I love your point.
  8. Finance

Finance Well-Known Member

Same story in my area and I have been looking.

It's money here, too. If you don't have it, America wants to beat you down.

And for $300 an hour, any psych better have a magic cure. He didn't.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.