I have Clinical Depression...

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Old Haunts, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Haunts

Old Haunts Active Member

Yeah, I was diagnosed with Clinical Depression almost two years ago and nobody in my family believes me because I laugh at things that are funny. I mean really, just because I've been depressed for almost 7 months straight doesn't mean I don't have a sense of humor.

My psychiatrist even told them that I did, and they didn't believe him. I can't go on meds because he (my psychiatrist) is scared to put me back on them because last time I was on them I had a hypomanic episode and tried to kill myself.

I live with my Grandma and even she says she doesn't think I really have it. She said that I'm probably just depressed because I've "been through a lot of shit" but I know that's not it.

what do I do? :3

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Hi i am sorry your parents and grandparent do not believe your diagnosis Next time perhaps bring them with you to see your psychiatrist and have him;her explain why you do. People just do not understand depression and educating them is a hard thing. Even if you can get some pamphlets on depression from your doctor to give your parents would help.

3. Old Haunts

Old Haunts Active Member

I've showed them websites and given them pamphlets, but they don't believe me. I might take them with me next time I go see my psychiatrist. Thanks.

4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I think hearing it right from the pdoc will help. The doctor will educate them well and get them to listen take care

5. Junesong

Junesong Member

It might not be you your family have a hard time believing. Some people find it hard to grasp the seriousness of mental health, and it can take time for them to understand. I've a colleague who scoffs at someone who works in another branch of our company because of the time off she's taken due to depression and I can only frown at him because he is so set in his ways.

While the support of your family would be really beneficial for you, is there something specific you need from them? Would it not be less stressful for you to let them believe what they want and take support from people who won't be so insensitive? I'm sorry if that's a little out of line, but if people aren't going to listen I don't think it's such a great idea for you to open yourself up to criticism when all you're trying to do is seek support. They may care, but to behave like that is not fair at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.