I have no desire to do anything with my life.

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by LilBoPeep, Dec 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LilBoPeep

LilBoPeep Member

I've been dealing with depression ever since I was a teenager, I'm 22 now. It's pretty much ruined my life. I have no desire to do anything with my life. I sleep half the day and the other half I'm wide awake and doing nothing that helps to improve my life. I feel like I'm wasting my life and don't know how to fix it. I don't care about having friends, a boyfriend, going out and having fun or anything that everybody else likes to do. I just wish I could sleep the whole day and only wake up when I need it. Sometimes I hate that I've let my life get this way but then it only makes me further depressed and I stop caring. Although I feel like I would like to have a life I lack the motivation to do it.
  2. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Yeah, I feel the same way most of the time. I don't care about anything, I'd just rather stay in bed and sleep my life away. So just know that you aren't alone in feeling that way. I usually lack the motivation to do what I want, and get sidetracked easily. Sometimes when things don't turn out the way I want them to, I just want to give up. But I just keep trying, and doing a little bit at a time. I hope that you will be able to find something that you can enjoy, or something that will make you want to better your life. I know it's not easy, but I know that you can get through it.
  3. LilBoPeep

LilBoPeep Member

How do you even find the strength to go on every day? There's some days where I can barely get out of bad. It's getting worse and I'm not sure what to do about it. I just want to give up and sleep forever.
  4. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I don't know, but I just keep on going, because I can only hope that things will be better someday. If I didn't believe that, then I would have given up already. But I really hope that things will start to turn around for you.
  5. LilBoPeep

LilBoPeep Member

It's good that you have hope. I really hope things turn around to because I'm going down the wrong path at the moment. I'm trying to see the other side but it's getting really hard to.
  6. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

People are not different than the old science principle - "something in motion tends to stay in motion while an object at rest tends to stay at rest" - if you manage to start doing it is easier to keep doing - all the effort is needed to just start it moving.....
  7. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

for me, it's a vicious circle.

for me, their is nothing that interests me- nothing at all

yet, every day i feel guilty about wasting my life, and not doing anything.... but what?. if i don't have motivations, goals, etc, then where do you go?

i'm afraid of getting to an old age and looking back on my life to find that it has been for nothing

but on the other hand, i really don't care (and no, not a demmi lovato reffrence) it just happens to be the way i said it
  8. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

Bopeep, I do understand. I have fought depression and anxiety since I was a teen. Meds never seem to help. And with my recent job loss, I have been plunged into my deepest darkness ever. My bed, and food are my best friends. Getting up each morning is a huge chore. Going to bed at night is an absolute pleasure.

But I know, that if I don't try, there is no hope of anything ever getting better. So I get up each morning and pray each night. Every day I look for work, and brace myself for more rejections. But continue to hope for that one company out there that will accept me. Please keep trying. Set a very simple goal. To do one thing every day. It can be very simple. A walk around the block, try a new food, new music, a new tv show, call a friend. Just find one thing to do each day. It will be a start.
  9. iwanttohelp

iwanttohelp Well-Known Member

Well society does put allot of pressure on and its easy to get down on yourself for just wanting freedom from it all. Try to start with a small effort by being a bit patient and understanding with yourself because deep down its natural that you would just want some relief from all the stress life has.

Maybe if you think deeply for a few moments about what you are depressed about you might find there is some hidden hurt there. Then writing it out or crying a bit can be relieving. I hope you feel better.
  10. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

Doing nothing with your time adds boredom of repetitive nature to life which then throws into the "want to sleep more."

I can understand that as I have been silently suffering depression for a while (although to others it would seem like it's on and off), and when I had a spell of not working, I'd spend more time in bed than I used to, and get moaned at for being bone idle and lazy - but it was purely boredom that had done me in.

However, having something in the way now (such as work), I find myself thinking a lot less - and a lot more distracted. There's even hints of "social life" because I'm dealing with people (as customers or staff) on a 5 day a week basis.

Perhaps you could use something similar in order to get out of the "boredom cycle" that really doesn't help with depression/motivation. For me - getting paid on a regular basis gives me money to do more things than what a benefit system would give - while generally having 2 days off a week to be able to use that money to accommodate other things.

If you want to chat - my PM box is open (albeit I may take a few hours to reply if I'm at work).
  11. LilBoPeep

LilBoPeep Member

Thank you all so much for the advice. It's really helpful. I like the idea of setting a small goal everyday and trying to do it. I'm going to try this and see how it goes. I just find it so hard to find the motivation to do anything. It's like how do you change your life for the better when you don't have the motivation to do it. I feel like it's a double negative somehow. You want to change but can't find the energy to do it. If that makes any sense.
  12. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

You make perfect sense BoPeep. Its really hard to change your life when you have no motivation. I struggle every day, and nothing seems to change. But if one doesn't make the effort nothing will change. And I believe you want things to be better. I read a book called Mans Search For Meaning, by Victor Frankl. He was a concentration camp survivor. He said that if you can find just ONE thing to keep you going it will be enough.
  13. demuredawn

demuredawn Well-Known Member

hi LilBoPeep, honestly... as far as finding small goals.. it can be anything: getting out of bed, getting dressed, getting yourself cleaned up, eating... those are all super small goals, but may be a good start with setting goals...

others can be soemthing like... calling someone and talking for x amt of time, going shopping, scheduling a doc appointment, etc.... these are small goals but a lil tougher

then other things may include... starting a craft/hobby of some kind, learning something new, etc ... or u can set long term goals... start at whatever scale you need to, and once you get one goal completed, allow yourself to celebrate that fact, and then immediately replace that goal with another... once you get used to one size goal and its not as hard, move on to the next step of goals....
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.