I have schizoaffective disorder

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by kinetickrown, Feb 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kinetickrown

kinetickrown Member

Hello everyone. I suffer from schizoaffective disorder and paranoid delusions. I am currently going through psychosis and having breaks from reality. The suicidal thoughts are getting very real for me and I'm finding it increasingly difficult to cope. Does anybody have some advice for me or more information regarding this illness. I've had one diagnosis after another and the meds don't seem to be working so I have stopped taking them. I am currently prescribed geodon, Effexor, and lamictal. My doctor reccomends I go back on zyprexa but I'm indifferent. I need help. I'm so confused and lost. I don't understand how I got to this point. Nobody takes me seriously anymore and people call me crazy including my own family. I'm so lonely. This is me officially reaching out. Please help
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Hi hun not nice for your family to say those things someone very close to me has the same diagnosis hun and i can tell you she is the most stable she has ever been on a new injection
    She takes in once a month hun and keeps her paranoia away and her voices and keeps her moods stable too. Perhaps look into that ok once a month hun thats all it is hugs
  3. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

Heyroo G3ologic! Welcome to SF!

I am also a sufferer of schizoaffective disorder. A couple of meds that you are taking are in my arsenal also (referring to geodon and lamictal).

Please, don't go off your meds, even if you think they are not working. I take mine because it takes the 'edge off' the voices that I have. The same may be going on for your meds. It's best to consult with your doctor (psychiatrist), and let them know what's working and what's not.

This is a good place to be, if you are having an episode, because you can use the people on the forum or in chat to help ground you. It's a good conducive environment.
  4. tiggersafire

tiggersafire Well-Known Member

I have Schizoaffective as well. I understand how you feel, and like Light said, it's best to keep taking your meds. I've never been on Geodon or Zyprexa, but I have been on Risperdal, Abilify, Loxapine, Nozinan, Seroquel, and Haldol. Nozinan, Seroquel, and Haldol, the meds I am currently on (along with an antidepressant and a mood stabilizer), seem to work the best. I noticed the biggest change when I was first put on Haldol. So I know how it feels to think nothing is working for you, but you just have to keep trying. If you work together with your doctor, I'm sure you can come up with a treatment plan that will work for you. And like I said in the other thread, if you ever need to talk, feel free to PM me :)
  5. iceblue

iceblue Well-Known Member

Hi, I've also been diagnosed schizoaffective and have just had a relapse. I wish i could offer more advice but I'm trying to understand it - I did have cbt in the past which helped.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.