• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

Empathy Only I have to shave my head for military service soon and I feel suicidal about it.

From_Venus

Well-Known Member
#1
I've always had a tough relationship with my hair, it's been the main source of body dysmorphia for me and for most of my teens, I was obsessive over how it looked. I would spend hours styling it throughout the day, using all kinds of products to manage my extremely thick, somewhat-straight, somewhat-way hair. Bad hair days would drive me to extreme frustration and depression. They would make me feel like disappearing from the world entirely, as if everyone around me was mocking me. Short haircuts would drive me to tears up until the age of 15 (I learned to be more discreet with my feelings after that haha), sometimes even suicidal ideation. The only time I ever attempted suicide was after I experienced some hair loss (thankfully it grew back) and was terrified that I would go bald and have to go on hair restoration medication at such a young age.

My country has mandatory military service for all males and we're required to shave our heads prior to enlistment. My enlistment date is sometime next month and I feel awful and suicidal about it. I've been terrified of shaving my head for military service ever since I was a child, when I first found out that it was something I had to do. I feel completely trapped and sick to my stomach just thinking about it. I'm going to miss my long-ish hair so much, for the first time in my life I feel somewhat good about how it looks (I desperately want to grow it out more and more) and I'm going to have to give that up so soon, and maintain short hair for the remaining two years of military service. The military has already been really accommodating to me over my mental health issues - I've been excused from combat training and even from having to stay in-camp. I'm really fortunate that way, but having to shave my head still makes me feel suicidal and hopeless. Everyone just tells me that "hair grows back" or that "I'll look fine" but they don't understand. I would rather die than shave my head.
 

1964dodge

Has a monkey as a friend
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
#3
I've always had a tough relationship with my hair, it's been the main source of body dysmorphia for me and for most of my teens, I was obsessive over how it looked. I would spend hours styling it throughout the day, using all kinds of products to manage my extremely thick, somewhat-straight, somewhat-way hair. Bad hair days would drive me to extreme frustration and depression. They would make me feel like disappearing from the world entirely, as if everyone around me was mocking me. Short haircuts would drive me to tears up until the age of 15 (I learned to be more discreet with my feelings after that haha), sometimes even suicidal ideation. The only time I ever attempted suicide was after I experienced some hair loss (thankfully it grew back) and was terrified that I would go bald and have to go on hair restoration medication at such a young age.

My country has mandatory military service for all males and we're required to shave our heads prior to enlistment. My enlistment date is sometime next month and I feel awful and suicidal about it. I've been terrified of shaving my head for military service ever since I was a child, when I first found out that it was something I had to do. I feel completely trapped and sick to my stomach just thinking about it. I'm going to miss my long-ish hair so much, for the first time in my life I feel somewhat good about how it looks (I desperately want to grow it out more and more) and I'm going to have to give that up so soon, and maintain short hair for the remaining two years of military service. The military has already been really accommodating to me over my mental health issues - I've been excused from combat training and even from having to stay in-camp. I'm really fortunate that way, but having to shave my head still makes me feel suicidal and hopeless. Everyone just tells me that "hair grows back" or that "I'll look fine" but they don't understand. I would rather die than shave my head.
in my opinioin you are very fortunte to not have combat duty. as for your hair yes it will grow back, probably thick and full. i understand how you feel. when i went to boot camp for the navy i was shaved very very short. at first i had a hard time sleeping without my hair. when i went in i had shoulder length well managed hair, guess what, when i got out i grew it all back. you can do this

mike....*hug*console*shake
 

SamB

SF Supporter
#4
It would seem that you have a much stronger attachment to your hair than most people. Do you have any insight as to why that may be?
I once knew someone who had a strange relationship with hair and when I talked to them more it turned out that their mother was a hair dresser and that when they were growing up they kind of felt a rivalry for their mothers love between them and hairdressing and that led to their unusual relationship with hair.
Was there anything in your childhood that you think might be related to your hair attachment?
I guess for other people hair is something they can control and use to express their individuality, did you have anything like that when you were a child where you felt you lacked control or individuality?
 

From_Venus

Well-Known Member
#5
in my opinioin you are very fortunte to not have combat duty. as for your hair yes it will grow back, probably thick and full. i understand how you feel. when i went to boot camp for the navy i was shaved very very short. at first i had a hard time sleeping without my hair. when i went in i had shoulder length well managed hair, guess what, when i got out i grew it all back. you can do this

mike....*hug*console*shake
yeah, I'm really glad that I don't have to do combat duty 😅 idk how I would have gotten through it lol
 

From_Venus

Well-Known Member
#6
It would seem that you have a much stronger attachment to your hair than most people. Do you have any insight as to why that may be?
I once knew someone who had a strange relationship with hair and when I talked to them more it turned out that their mother was a hair dresser and that when they were growing up they kind of felt a rivalry for their mothers love between them and hairdressing and that led to their unusual relationship with hair.
Was there anything in your childhood that you think might be related to your hair attachment?
I guess for other people hair is something they can control and use to express their individuality, did you have anything like that when you were a child where you felt you lacked control or individuality?
mm I'm not really sure, I was always super averse to short haircuts even as a child and was always terrified of having to eventually shave my head for military service... but yeah, having long hair definitely makes me feel like I have control and agency over my appearance in a much more significant way that other stuff (accessories, clothing) does. Losing that agency makes me feel horrible :(
 

BRADY33

Well-Known Member
#7
I've always had a tough relationship with my hair, it's been the main source of body dysmorphia for me and for most of my teens, I was obsessive over how it looked. I would spend hours styling it throughout the day, using all kinds of products to manage my extremely thick, somewhat-straight, somewhat-way hair. Bad hair days would drive me to extreme frustration and depression. They would make me feel like disappearing from the world entirely, as if everyone around me was mocking me. Short haircuts would drive me to tears up until the age of 15 (I learned to be more discreet with my feelings after that haha), sometimes even suicidal ideation. The only time I ever attempted suicide was after I experienced some hair loss (thankfully it grew back) and was terrified that I would go bald and have to go on hair restoration medication at such a young age.

My country has mandatory military service for all males and we're required to shave our heads prior to enlistment. My enlistment date is sometime next month and I feel awful and suicidal about it. I've been terrified of shaving my head for military service ever since I was a child, when I first found out that it was something I had to do. I feel completely trapped and sick to my stomach just thinking about it. I'm going to miss my long-ish hair so much, for the first time in my life I feel somewhat good about how it looks (I desperately want to grow it out more and more) and I'm going to have to give that up so soon, and maintain short hair for the remaining two years of military service. The military has already been really accommodating to me over my mental health issues - I've been excused from combat training and even from having to stay in-camp. I'm really fortunate that way, but having to shave my head still makes me feel suicidal and hopeless. Everyone just tells me that "hair grows back" or that "I'll look fine" but they don't understand. I would rather die than shave my head.
How the hell don't they have a waiver for you? I believe they have mental issues.
 

SamB

SF Supporter
#11
Did your fear of short hair come before your realisation that you would have to cut your hair for military service?
Military training, generally involves a certain amount of stripping away individuality, there are lots of reasons why this makes sense from their perspective. Really, you can’t fight the system, it’s best to just try and separate your internal and external self a little and present as the standardised man they want whilst trying to maintain your true self on the inside.
 

Just_a_guy

Well-Known Member
#12
First of all, good luck in your service! Know that it takes guts to go through with it and you will get tougher both physically and mentally and learn a lot of skills that you might not even know that exist. I also had a mandatory army service and I think the best thing that came out of it was that i got a lot more mentally tougher, which helped me a lot in life later on.

Second, having to shave your hair might actually be a good thing. Back in the day, I also used to have a bit longer hair and i never really felt good with how it was. After a bit of time passed, shaving it felt amazing! Suddenly I had no need to worry about it all the time and later I realized it didn't even matter that much, I realized i was stuck in a very narrow "view" of how im supposed to look like, if that makes any sense.
 

Lifeisthis

Well-Known Member
#13
I beleive in you if it grew back once it will probably grow back again. Who knows you might like having a shaved head after awhile while your in service less to take care of. By the way I admire you serving and protecting our country. From the bottom of my heart thank you
 

From_Venus

Well-Known Member
#14
Can you tell them short hair falls under mental issue so the exception you already rcvd covers that part as well?
I believe that it's an option, but it's extremely hard to convince them to do so. I've heard that it's easier to get fully exempted than to get excused from the haircut 🙀
 

From_Venus

Well-Known Member
#15
Did your fear of short hair come before your realisation that you would have to cut your hair for military service?
Military training, generally involves a certain amount of stripping away individuality, there are lots of reasons why this makes sense from their perspective. Really, you can’t fight the system, it’s best to just try and separate your internal and external self a little and present as the standardised man they want whilst trying to maintain your true self on the inside.
Yeah, my fear of short hair started when I was a child. I remember hearing about having to shave my head for military service when I was around 7 years old and I've been dreading it ever since.
 

SamB

SF Supporter
#17
Have you considered reducing your hair in stages before you join up? Not sure if that would help you to adjust overtime or if it might just elongate the experience and make it worse.
Do you have any leeway in the nature of the haircut, does it just have to be ‘short’ or does it have to just be the classic same length all over skinhead?
 

From_Venus

Well-Known Member
#18
Have you considered reducing your hair in stages before you join up? Not sure if that would help you to adjust overtime or if it might just elongate the experience and make it worse.
Do you have any leeway in the nature of the haircut, does it just have to be ‘short’ or does it have to just be the classic same length all over skinhead?
It has to be a buzzcut all over 😔

Reducing the length gradually is an interesting idea, thanks!
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$15.00
Goal
$255.00
Top