I lost myself while I fell in love

hellyeahwhatever

My father used to say... "How can a blind man help another blind man to cross the street? It'll be jeopardy!!!"

I couldn't agree more. Ironically, I couldn't escape the fact that I am the very blind man, and trying to help my partner, the other blind man here, to survive together and save our relationship.

I've been suffering depression (though never diagnosed, or not yet, but I went on to medication after an attempt)... since about 2 years ago. Then, IDK, somewhere along the line, I think my partner took a heavy toll on me. Not only it made him tired AF, I realised it finally made him probably as depressed as I am...

He did make it loud and clear: He became the person he is today, because of me. He only feel this much resentment and expressing a very large amount of neuroticism, only to me. He is triggered with every little debate we had, like we couldn't even have a break.

He was there when I was at my worst. But to him, I was never at his. I didn't (and still don't) understand what went wrong. Whenever I asked, he raged even more... telling me that I was just too lazy to find it out myself, he didn't want to answer it basically.

To the point that we were both emotionally exhausted... and one time he asked me to fulfil his physical needs (like what people do prior to having sex, the roleplay and such). While we have done several things like that, this time, this particular time, I wasn't really able to do it because I've been busy...

And then he got mad. He got mad and started to be calculative of the things he had done for me but I always failed to help him. That I never succeed in consoling him, satisfying his emotional needs, and now also his physical needs.

I know we're screwed. Since long time ago, maybe. Almost all of my friends told me it's not worth it anymore. But I held onto us both, trying to prove them wrong, trying to prove that I can be his hero too..

In the end he hates me. Well, we already broke up just now... but now I feel lost. I lost myself while loving someone I thought I would spent my whole life with.

I don't know who I am anymore... What I'd do without him.

Aurelia

🔥 A Fire Inside 🔥
SF Supporter
My father used to say... "How can a blind man help another blind man to cross the street? It'll be jeopardy!!!"
That's funny as hell, I like that! And I'm sorry you are suffering so much. I don't have any good advice at the moment, unfortunately, but I'm here to talk if you need to.

MagickLynx

SF Supporter
I don't know your entire story but to me he sounds a bit emotionally abusive. It sounds like he blames you when things go wrong?

hellyeahwhatever

I don't know your entire story but to me he sounds a bit emotionally abusive. It sounds like he blames you when things go wrong?
Hey Lynx, yeah... you can say so.. though he blamed me because I was being defensive, he said. The thing is, I couldn't really differ what he meant by me being defensive or simply me trying to explain the situation to him. Yes... he also hated it when I 'explain too much' that I 'talked too much' but every time I shut my mouth and just listen, trying to console him, by nudging him, or whatever the therapists usually do when they're listening to client's rant... he also thought I was just doing some bullshit...

He really did say so. I didn't just over-reacting to this.

I can only commiserate @hellyeahwhatever. I'm just out of a 12 year relationship that I thought would be the last. I'm sorry you are feeling so badly. I'm here if you want to talk.
That sounds rough... 12 years...? How are you doing right now?

That's funny as hell, I like that! And I'm sorry you are suffering so much. I don't have any good advice at the moment, unfortunately, but I'm here to talk if you need to.
Haha, yeah... My dad's kind of the joker

MagickLynx

SF Supporter
Hey Lynx, yeah... you can say so.. though he blamed me because I was being defensive, he said. The thing is, I couldn't really differ what he meant by me being defensive or simply me trying to explain the situation to him. Yes... he also hated it when I 'explain too much' that I 'talked too much' but every time I shut my mouth and just listen, trying to console him, by nudging him, or whatever the therapists usually do when they're listening to client's rant... he also thought I was just doing some bullshit...

He really did say so. I didn't just over-reacting to this.

That sounds rough... 12 years...? How are you doing right now?

Haha, yeah... My dad's kind of the joker
Yeah I don't think you were over-reacting, sounds like you were just trying to communicate and he didn't want to hear you and then you still couldnt make your point to him?

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
I'm sorry things crumbled with your partner. I too dissolved a long relationship (13+ years) & it's a real rough go but I'll tell ya - time doesn't stop. We do keep on going ahead. I'm married now & perfectly happy with the way things are. But it didn't make that time period not shitty. I hope you can find something good here at the site. We're all here for you. Best wishes.

hellyeahwhatever

I'm sorry things crumbled with your partner. I too dissolved a long relationship (13+ years) & it's a real rough go but I'll tell ya - time doesn't stop. We do keep on going ahead. I'm married now & perfectly happy with the way things are. But it didn't make that time period not shitty. I hope you can find something good here at the site. We're all here for you. Best wishes.
Thank you Walker95, I do hope those days will come for me too...

Hello all, thank you so much for your replies. They all made me not so lonely. Usually it took me and my partner 2 to 3 days to rekindle and mended our relationship. This time, I'm pretty sure we ended up for good... Until the end, he kept saying I was a really self-centered person, selfish, and I didn't even want to do a single sacrifice for him. To me, until the end, he kept saying words that hurt me and also, I was very sure he was still consumed by the negativity and all that he said to me was purely lashing out here and there. I could never know what he meant by me wouldn't sacrifice for him, was it really the brutal truth that I failed to see or was it just his negativity talking.

But I still hope he'd be a better person... I'm pretty sure he has some issues he has to solve. He probably has depression and he needs to see a professional, though without me. Should I wait for him? Because I knew the person he once was before all these happened. I want him back, I want him to stop suffering. Should I wait for him? Or is it really the end? That I should seek out someone better (if there's one) because he said so too, that I deserved better?

I can't get over him. Can we both get another chance and I, in the middle of it, finally won't lose myself anymore? I want to save him, I feel like he became this way because of me (which he said so too).

Any kind of advice, pro or cons, not normative ones, would mean so much to me... thank you

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
Honestly, your best off to start trying to live your life in whatever way you choose. If you are living & improving yourself & going on with life then its on your ex to decide what he's going to do. If he makes a choice to try to work things out then you guys can choose that when it if that happens but the best thing you can do is to move on. And honestly if he's feeling ambivalent about things & you are looking back at him then you picking up & showing him you're tough & can move on may make him want to rekindle things. Just my thoughts.

Any kind of advice, pro or cons, not normative ones, would mean so much to me... thank you
You might want to try couples counseling, if he's willing to go

The links in my signature can connect you to some information about treatment methods that might help him, or both of you

Hope that everything works out

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$130.00
Goal
$255.00