I miss you so much

Discussion in 'Grief and Bereavement' started by Tonyman90, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Tonyman90

Tonyman90 Member

Pre-cursor: I grew up with my grandmother and grandfather who both passed away by the time I was 17. 11 years later I'm here struggling with it still. I occasionally write things like this to help me through it. I've been making it through these past 11 years, but this time...for whatever reason the grief is really hitting me hard. I feel a little ridiculous because it's been so many years but alas...it still hurts so.

So here I am. I'm struggling to cope. I can't seem to shake it this time. It's coming up on 11 years since I lost you. Since the very world opened up and swallowed me whole. I dreamt of you a few nights ago. There we were in my small hometown, in our little house, with the same old couch, same old carpet, the same...you. I saw you and rushed to you sobbing, uncontrollably. I felt you squeeze me. I felt you hold my face. You told me you loved me, to be strong. Suddenly I awoke, wrenched unwillingly back to this cruel reality, struggling to breathe, blinded by tears. Just as soon as I had you in my arms again, you were ripped away. I cried for 30 minutes straight. 3 days later I'm laying here struggling to find sleep. It's almost as if I lost you just yesterday. The tears come and go. The grief slashes relentlessly at my heart. I miss you. Oh my God. I miss you so. Why wont this feeling go away? This gut wrenching feeling...I want to be strong. I want to make you proud. But most of all...I just want you. I want to lay in your lap again while you caress my hair as a child. I want to hear your laugh. Your wonderful, beautiful infectious laugh. I want to hear that angry yell shouting my first and middle name that struck a chord in my soul only you could find. I treasure your memories. It's like a tape that plays over and over in my head. I'll always remember the night I was crying at my first realization of the fragility of life. I said "Mawmaw I never want to lose you." You told me, "Baby doll (I loved when you called me that), I won't always be with you here on earth, but I'll ALWAYS be in your heart." 11 years after your death...the grief sometimes knocks me sideways. You are in my heart. You are in my soul, my very being. When you died, the world went dark. A huge beacon of light suddenly extinguished. I've been struggling to find a light again. I've found a few lights that helped me a bit along the way, but they're just so dim compared to yours. Honestly, I think my heart shut down. At least the emotional function. The physical part keeps on pattering away. I'm afraid to love as deeply as I loved you. My heart was so shattered when I lost you. I don't think I'm capable of it quite frankly. And because I can't find that big, bright light anymore I feel lost and alone. Will I ever find someone as beautiful and wonderful as you? I'm broken...and my light is flickering low. I hope sometime soon a bright light will shine in on me again and save me from this pain. I fear, if not, my very own light will soon cease to be.
  2. may71

may71 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that you are going through this Tonyman. I'm glad that you loved them so much and they loved you back so much as well, but I'm sorry it's been so painful for you to deal with their loss.

I think that different people have different perspectives about dreams, and the nature of life in general. If your grandparents could have truly spoken to you, this is exactly what they would have said, and therefor I encourage you to take this as a true message from them.

The best way that you can honor their memory is to try to make the most out of life. This is clearly their wish for you.
    Tonyman90 likes this.
  3. walkerbait95

walkerbait95 SF Social Media Forum Pro SF Supporter

Hey there, Tony.
    Have you ever thought about getting some grief counseling for how you feel about this? It would seem that it's been quite a while since the passing of your family members and it feels pretty raw still. Maybe a therapist could shed some light on why that is and maybe help you get further along in the process of letting go a little.
    Best wishes, friend.
  4. Dawn

Dawn Forum Pro

I am so sorry u are still feeling this so deeply. It is a testament to their love. Sounds like they were wonderful. Don't give up as u may still find that. And if u have kids u surely will. Best wishes.