I survived

Discussion in 'After Effects' started by Heidia37, Nov 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heidia37

Heidia37 Member

The attempt came 10 days ago and 8 days ago I went into inpatient for Veterans. They took everything from me even my id I guess in case I tried to escape. I have been feeling very anxious since my release this morning I am not quite sure why. I am feeling unfamiliar with my surroundings not so sure why.
  2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I am so glad you did not succeed...it might take a while before getting back to ''normal'' but I hope you settle down in the next few days :hug:
  3. sweetles

sweetles Well-Known Member

After your experience the way you are feeling now is totally normal. It is natural to be lost, disoriented and somewhat numb after an attempt. That is how I always felt. I didn't expect to see the sun again, or my bed, or the expired yogurt in the fridge but there it all was. And then others expect you to go back to "normal" life, when that's what you sought to escape in the first place.

In your case perhaps group therapy with other veterans could help. Automatically you will have a sense of belonging at least. And take your time, don't feel you have to meet anyone's deadline but your own.
  4. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

It's change of environment. At the hospital everything was controlled and structured

Now you have the control back it can be confusing at first, that feeling will fade away when you go back to your routine
  5. Heidia37

Heidia37 Member

Thank you everyone today I went to the place that I volunteer at til January where I will be hired on for a full time position. It was my first time out of the house since being home and now I am tired. It was good to do something other than staring at the walls in my house. I guess I am still adjusting to my life.
  6. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Volunteering is great, I have experience in volunteering, it feels very good to do charity wok for great causes. I'm glad you're feeling more positive now. Best of luck and keep us updated!!
  7. stapleremover

stapleremover Chat Buddy

Hang in there, it gets better. I found this site a few weeks after I got out of the hospital and coming here to talk to other people in my situation helped me so much. It was really hard to just 'be at home' and try to go back to living some kind of life. Go easy on yourself, and do everything you can to nurture and pamper yourself until you start feeling better...movies, chocolate, and hanging out in the Chat Room on this site has helped me just as much as the therapy and meds. Glad you're here.
  8. BornAgain

BornAgain Well-Known Member

When they took the nurses watching me 24/7, it was hard, when I got of the hospital I was afraid, but everything was fine. Volunteering will make you feel useful, loved, you will see others have problems too and you will socialize. I'm glad you are alive!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.