I think I might have an ED

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by ZombiePringle, Jun 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

Lately I have noticed I have been eating less and less. I don't personally find much wrong with it because I feel fine and I'm still at a normal weight. It seems though that everybody around is trying to get me to eat more. Including my fiance who usually tries to ignore that I have any kind of problem (she still refuses to believe that I'm depressed and everything like that) Does anybody else think this might be an eating disorder.

2. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

Maybe... Be aware because this may be a beginning. It's somewhat unlikely but you never know.

3. triggs

triggs Account Closed

it just sounds to me as if you are losing your appetite - possibly due to the depression. people may worry if they don't see you eat, but as long as you know you're eating a normal amount/not eating too little then it should be okay. be careful though hun, and maybe talk to someone about it, one of the people who are trying to get you to eat more. they obviously worry about you, so put their mind at rest, and yours too :)
    good luck hun :hug:
    laura x

4. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

I agree mostly with Triggs. Try to eat when you can, adequate eating and sleeping will help combat depression.
    Simple as it sounds it does make a difference. As long as your weight doesn't drop below healthy you should be ok. :hug:

5. ZombiePringle

Well I do know I have lost over 20 pounds in a month and a half. Thats probably not good.

6. triggs

triggs Account Closed

that is quite a lot of weight in a short space of time.. have you got a therapist/doctor you can talk to about it? how do you feel about this weightloss? hope you're doing okay hun xx

7. ZombiePringle

I did take a self assesment quiz online and it says I likely have anorexia. As for the weight loss thing. It doesn't really bother me too much. I do weigh myself a lot though. Don't know why really.

8. Rose24

Rose24 Chat & Forum Buddy

Suffers are usually very conscious of their eating disorder despite denial, especial if they restrict or purge as opposed to compulsive over eaters, it is the only way that a suffer can change their behaviour around food compared to the “norm”. So if you were anorexic you would be conscious of the fact that you are restricting how much you eat, and possibly preoccupied with how much weight you’ve lost. If you’ve lost you’re appetite (anorectic), it could be depression or medication related. You’re obsession with the scales could be out of habit or boredom.

There are several site which are supportive either way, just pm me if you need dear.

tc and be safe,

Rose

9. ZombiePringle

well...I do restrict what I eat. didn't say it before. I think what started out as me just not not having an appetite turned into something worse. for example...today at work there was an employee lunch where everybody brought in food and all that for everybody to eat. I was hungry but instead I just chose too eat a brownie that I had with me. was still hungry but I convinced myself to not go get food. so...yeah I have been restricting my diet. as for the scale I never used to do it at work until a couple months ago I started doing it. I weigh myself several times when I'm working usually.

10. triggs

triggs Account Closed

this sounds like it's progressing and as if it has been for a while. have you talked to someone about it? i think this might be a good idea. CBT can help a lot with eating disorders, and if you speak to a therapist or someone, they can probably decide whether you would benefit from it or not. however, as Rose said, sufferers are usually very aware of what they're doing and most of the time, why. perhaps something happened recently to encourage you to make this decision, even subconsciously? what do you think? :heart: xx

11. Rose24

Rose24 Chat & Forum Buddy

CBT is fantastic, though I know that in the uk there are restrictions what help you can get depending on your BMI, find out what the law is in your area. You need to remember that an eating disorder is often just a symptom of an underlying cause or issue. What do you think is making you act out? Talking about it might help and though I’m just a pm away if you need me, perhaps a therapist would be good too. It takes guts so realize and say what is really wrong, but things get easier once you do.

Perhaps you should talk to you’re fiancé about your body generally, don’t mention your issues with food or the depression but from a “is it really THAT bad??” angle, it could be that you’ve taken something she meant lightly to heart…either way, you shouldn’t let anyone make you feel like you’re not good enough even if it something relatively superficial like your stomach.

Please be careful dear, its’ a slippery path.

Rose

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.