I wish...

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by moon-light, Jan 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moon-light

moon-light New Member

I would like to be pretty and skinny like my sister, but is impossible for me. But oh my dear, i'm falling more and more.
  2. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Comparing yourself to other people is not a good idea. What did you mean by falling more and more
  3. TheStruggle

TheStruggle Active Member

DrownedFishOnFire is right. It's so hard not to compare yourself to other people, but that won't help. I've been jealous of other people all the time, and it kept me from ever being even the slightest bit happy. Don't give up, and be happy with yourself. :)
  4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I have the exact same issue, its hard the 3 of my sisters being very thin and I am fat. Is it actually an eating disorder you have though or do you mean you're just over weight and want to lose weight?
    We should be ourselves though and love ourselves, I know it's hard sometimes which I find kinda okay to do.
  5. It comes naturally to us to see somebody that we think is attractive and think, "If only I..." and finish the sentence with whatever we want to change about ourselves. I do it all the time even though I know better. The only comparison I should be doing is how I am today vs. how I was yesterday. It will never work if I am always trying to be like somebody else, because I will always be me.

It is much easier said than done, but sometimes I can stop those thoughts by thinking of how I think of some of the people that I really care about. I would accept my friends for who they are even if something physical changed because they would still be my friends. Everybody has qualities about them like that, so if I can accept other people without changing them then surely people are doing the same with me.
  6. Dan99

Dan99 Active Member

Hello moon-light,

I had gone through something similar.......... My brother is married to a beautiful woman. Not only is she beautiful; she is also well-educated and comes from a decent family......the "perfect wife" so to speak (or at least in my mind) ............ While i am single...... for some time now i thought i was jealous of my brother (maybe envious is the more accurate term).......but then i questioned myself.............. why do i not feel this "envy" towards my other friends and acquaintances? They are married to beautiful, well-educated women too......... why am i happy for them and not for my own flesh and blood?

Then a weird thing happened.......... now i am actually PROUD of my brother for having such a wife.......... because to me, he's like "Michael Jordan" when it comes to his situation........ and i realized it's ridiculous for me to be envious of him cuz it's like being envious of Michael Jordan.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.